• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Looks Like an Early Winter for Many :(

Got down to 50 last night here in Seattle.  My peppers in my raised bed are fine, but the ones in the pots are really wilted this morning.  Not sure how well they'll do the rest of the month

Yeah same here with the potted peppers..our low was in the 40's last night...I'm gonna probably end up cutting them and hanging them upside down to ripen the remaining pods and go ahead with my plans to bonchi my green hab earlier then I wanted to...because our outlook here in Michigan doesn't look like it is going to get back to pepper growing weather,..damnit

Supposed to be around 35 tonight with snow flurries - and then 84 on Sunday.   Time to cover a few peppers - hopefully.

Unseasonably cool here at night as well.  Damn!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got hit sooner.  My Queen Laurie, which got a slow start, is now loaded with green pods.  I had one ripen a couple weeks ago and one is ripening now.  I really wanted to get a nice crop out of her but it doesn't look good!

cone9 said:
Unseasonably cool here at night as well.  Damn!
Ed, what are you doing liking this - you should be disliking!

meinchoh said:
Dave, you think we'll be okay through mid-October??

It got cold quick here too, dropping 15F in only a few days, BUT it's supposed to warm back up to near avg. temps.  Looking over the monthly forecast it's "supposed" to stay warm enough here to keep growing till the end of November.  I don't necessarily trust that given the unusually cool summer so I figure I'm good until early to mid-Nov.

I don't necessarily mind that much as I spent 4 hours making hot sauce a few days ago and didn't even make a dent in the peppers I still need to do something with.  The funny part is I recently discovered I have an accidental melon vine growing now, lol.

gKfb7ur.jpg

got down to 27f last night here, i put a tarp on my main raised bed, plants survived the night, amazing the tomato plants, did fine, this afternoon all my zuchinni leaves turned dark and wilted to nothingness. 3 months growing season sucks, i need to move to a warmer climate 

That's insane!! Here in alabama it was a cool 97 degrees, I feel like this is hell compared to your snow flurry nights! Stat reads 82 outside at 9pm, we are however supposed to have a cold front soon! Yippee
juanitos said:
i'm hoping to get to halloween, so i can hand out fresh reapers to the kids
You could even dress up as a reaper! Now that is a Halloween idea!

I gotta build my hoop house next month sometime.. Had probably 3 freezes last year? A bunch of days in the low 40s though.. Hoping I can go year round production with the hoop house!

Back