• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Is this normal?

Okay, so I've shown this to a few people and I'm still not sure whether I should be excited about this, or whether it's totally normal and not anything special.

One of my Moruga plants has been producing pods that consistently burn me through whatever gloves I use, even when I go with a latex glove under a heavy rubber glove, that do this when I open them up:

http://vid1056.photobucket.com/albums/t375/SolipsistSupernova/Farming/002-3.mp4

Is that kind of oil normal?

Short answer: Yes.

I got the exact same thing with my Morugas while I was halving them the other day to dehydrate them. By the time I did half a dehydration tray, my gloves were so soaked with oil, I had to replace them.

And for the record, one glove was reserved for MJ, surely your other hand is on fire and any skin you touch with it :) I have made several videos showing and I am about to make a puree with the pods...about 1000 grams worth hahahha PAIN  :onfire:

First things first. Glove both hands. With that said.

Cool, milk them like a cobra for the venum.

Not to rare, but way cool.

Man I made that mistake a week or so ago when I was pickling ...I used my bare hands to mix some scorpions, cherry peppers, green habs and some sweet peppers up after they were sitting in the salt water for 2 hours...my hands literally burned for hours upon hours until the next morning ...I'm also a nail biter and when I went to bite my nails a day or so later I got burned again...never again man...gloves on top of gloves on top of gloves...;)

That is awesome!! Morugas have just made it on my short list. I love the taste of habaneros but I think i'm missing the boat with so many other flavors out there.

Rymerpt said what i was thinking... watching this video is just like watching a person milking a cobra!

If that volume of oil is to be found in 1 pod, i wonder how much could practicably be accquired if it were collected from a larger quantity -- say, a batch of Morugas headed for the dehydrator or slated for a gallon of sauce.

How would it be best stored? Does it spoil or oxidize or evaporate if not sealed/refrigerated/frozen? I suspect some very clearly stated warning should be in place on the container!

Does such an oil have the same flavor/aroma as the pepper it comes from? Does the heat numb the sense of taste so much that this question is moot, or will a distinct and pronounced Moruga pepper flavor infuse a dish that has trace amounts added to it?

I suspect it's probably impossible to sensibly consume in a raw/undiluted state. However i can't help but think that there's a market for a raw foods, unprocessed, yet very concentrated capsaicinoid product like this.

I used to use cannabis in an attempt to self-treat chronic pain. It works, but the side effects are too stupefying. I found hot peppers to be a much more useful therapy. I have avoided industrially refined capsaicin extracts (and always will), but i wouldn't bat an eye at selling this oil if i owned a health food store. ...Er, i'd put it on a higher shelf, perhaps behind the front counter... but i think you hear my point.

If the food regulations make this a bad prospect, then what about selling it to sauce manufacturers who want an all-natural "extract" for their maximally hot products?

For sizable lots to be produced, what about cutting each pepper in halves/pieces, then running them around in a centrifuge? A domestic "lettuce-drier" centrifuge, hand-cranked or motor-driven, might be useful. Small amounts of grain alcohol could possibly be used as a wash to remove most residue (i think).

Frankly, Wicked Mike, you may not have discovered insulin or penicillin, but you have presented a terrific idea: what can be done with it?

I was thinking the same thing, high moisture content in the pods, it will of course be hot due to capsaicin dilution in it but it wouldn't be straight capsaicin..

If it was you would have a military grade pepper

Scuba_Steve said:
I have read that nitrile gloves work much better than latex gloves do.  Capsaicin seems to make its way through latex but can not through nitrile.

Yeah, I had to use nitrile over latex for that reason.

Since nitrile is less permeable to oil than rubber, i wonder if this liquid is more oil than water.

Admittedly, i know nothing about this material. My local climate makes Morugas a bad choice for growing outdoors. By the way, is this "Moruga", in this context, the Trinidad Moruga scorpion, or the CARDI strain called 'Moruga'?
Also, is the liquid found in Morugas also found in other peppers? Is it only found in superhots?

I had the same phenomen with the morugas last year. But I agree with Dulac it`s water not oil. The question is why is there so much water in the morugas?

Back