• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Next on the list?

So I have been upping my tolerance level in order to try moruga scorps that I have growing. I have been eating orange habs and now I've gotten to a point I think I am ready to move up to the next heat level. I am looking for a pepper that is around double hot and has a smooth burn (Habs to me had a really painful burn at the start) and maybe something that doesn't cramp you up haha.  Oh and of course something delicious! 

By the way thanks for all of the adive you guys have given me! It is much appreciated! I just finished all of Nigel's reviews and they were fantastic, thanks Nigel! ( I asked who a good pod reviewer was and you guys pointed me to Nigel )

I would suggest a yellow bhut jolokia.  Not as hot as the other colors and they range from anywhere between 400k to 700k on the scoville scale, would get you the next step up I think.  I can eat them where as I still cannot eat a red bhut (Assam).  For the superhots I tend to cut up in small chunks and eat on crackers with cheese. 

I ate a half of a Reaper x Moruga last night, what a gut bomb.  Paid for it all morning, lol.    

DrUnK said:
Cool, I shall look for these two! So just the standard fatalli? And do these peppers have a smooth burn? Thanks again

Its hard to say, the chemicals in peppers tend to affect people if different ways.  Fatalii tend to have an intense burn like a superhot but not being on the superhot lvl scoville wise.  Only thing I can say is try one, or a piece of one first, same with the Yellow Bhut. 

I dont intend on ever doing reviews or anything of that nature so I am not worried about building a staggering superhot tolerance.  I am sure it will come as I slowly eat more and more hotter peppers. 

Good luck! 

DrUnK said:
Cool, I shall look for these two! So just the standard fatalli? And do these peppers have a smooth burn? Thanks again
Yea, for me it was like a hab, hotter, but like the Habenero. Very nice citrus taste.

How does a Trinidad Scorpion rate compared to the Fatalli and Yellow Bhut flavor wise? I'm kinda in the same boat. Love my orange Habanero's but the Red Bhut Jolokias are a bit much for me still so I'm looking for something in between the 2.

Fatalii blows scorpion away flavour wise. Cannot comment on the yellow Bhut as have never tried one that I can remember.

Nova said:
Fatalii blows scorpion away flavour wise. Cannot comment on the yellow Bhut as have never tried one that I can remember.

I agree, yellow Fatalii has an amazing flavor, better than any scorpion I have had to date. It is also hotter than a hab but not as a Bhut, although for me the pain factor is more intense than a Bhut but not quite as hot, if that makes any sense.

I also do not really care for the flavor of the yellow Bhut as much as the red Bhut, but it is not nearly as hot.

All you can do is try them.

While I love the fatalii flavor, the initial taste of the brown moruga scorp I find to be extremely tasty. It is just wicked hot. If I were to choose a fatalii though, I would say I'm partial to the white fatalii as it has some heat yet is fruity too!

Try a

Hawaiianero said:
How does a Trinidad Scorpion rate compared to the Fatalli and Yellow Bhut flavor wise? I'm kinda in the same boat. Love my orange Habanero's but the Red Bhut Jolokias are a bit much for me still so I'm looking for something in between the 2.

I find Trinidad Scorpion peppers to be very acidic and pungent in flavor.  Try a "true" white bhut jolokia instead, subdued flavor better than yellow bhut IMO and citrusy.  I guess if it had to be a Scorpion you could true the Yellow Moruga Scorpion "or" the Yellow Cardi Scorpion.  

If you're going that hot anyhow why not 7 Pot Yellow Brainstrain?, I love them! 

Sorry to derail the thread. 

Buzzman19 said:
Try a

I find Trinidad Scorpion peppers to be very acidic and pungent in flavor.  Try a "true" white bhut jolokia instead, subdued flavor better than yellow bhut IMO and citrusy.  I guess if it had to be a Scorpion you could true the Yellow Moruga Scorpion "or" the Yellow Cardi Scorpion.  

If you're going that hot anyhow why not 7 Pot Yellow Brainstrain?, I love them! 

Sorry to derail the thread. 
Haha yeah I've been looking at the brainstrain pics in here and to be honest the look alone makes me nervous. I think I'm gonna have to ease into that one. My better half, the "sane" one is going to flip when she finds out I'm getting more varieties as it is. I already had to move my operation outside after fumigating the house while trying to oven dry some Bhut Jolokias. :mouthonfire:

Fatalli is my favorite tasting pepper. It's perfect for you if you want heat in between a Scorp and a Hab too!

I throw another option into the mix - the Red Devil's Tongue.

I find it to be somewhat like the Red Savina Habanero in terms of flavour, but hotter, however the more interesting point is that you can actually detect sweetness as the heat builds, which, needless to say, is unlike some of the chilli out there that are actually masquerading as a hot soldering iron in disguise ....

I would say it all depends on how the Orange Habs that you have consumed are grown - there are ho-hum orange habs, then holy s*hit that's hot orange habs.

A similar case in point - I have grown red bhut jolokia that have been large and nasty looking, but some off the plant have about as much heat as a bell pepper. Others, well, they are in a different league. Why? Beats me, but it happens. So, if your orange habs have been top of the scale, you are probably doing better with heat tolerance than you think.

Regards,

Tim

Back