• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Reaper Bombs aka Hot Pickled Eggs

This was our first attempt at making some pickled eggs using a super hot.
and they turned out mighty tasty....

Reaper Bombs aka Pickled Eggs
PickledEggs_zpsee9a84c4.jpg

Ingredients:
24 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 large empty sterilized glass jar
8 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoon salt
2 medium onions, chopped
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon pickling spices
2 cups Beet Juice (we used the juice from two cans of beets and saved the beets to eat later)
1 Reaper

Directions:
1. Put the peeled hardboiled eggs in the large jar.
2. Boil the remaining ingredients together for 5 minutes.
3. Pour over the eggs in the jar.
4. Cover; leave on counter overnight.
5. Keeps in refrigerator for weeks, in theory.
6. In reality, if you love pickled eggs, these will disappear.

I've made several batches of these lately. In the first batch, I used two reapers per quart jar (11 eggs). They weren't nearly hot enough. I think the acidity of the brine really cuts down the heat. In the last batch, I used seven reapers per jar. Now they're starting to get where I want them. I think in the next batch, I'm going to try a jar with a dozen pods. 

wayright said:

A few pieces of papaya will let that heat really get into the egg! 

So that's the trick, huh? I might have to try that. The 12 superhots per jar I was planning does seem like kind of a waste.

flyingpig said:
This was our first attempt at making some pickled eggs using a super hot.
and they turned out mighty tasty....

Reaper Bombs aka Pickled Eggs
PickledEggs_zpsee9a84c4.jpg

Ingredients:
24 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
1 large empty sterilized glass jar
8 cups white vinegar
2 teaspoon salt
2 medium onions, chopped
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoon pickling spices
2 cups Beet Juice (we used the juice from two cans of beets and saved the beets to eat later)
1 Reaper

Directions:
1. Put the peeled hardboiled eggs in the large jar.
2. Boil the remaining ingredients together for 5 minutes.
3. Pour over the eggs in the jar.
4. Cover; leave on counter overnight.
5. Keeps in refrigerator for weeks, in theory.
6. In reality, if you love pickled eggs, these will disappear.

Can you seal these for long term storage, or is it a make and use type of thing?

I'm salivating already...

AaronB said:
looks awesome,

what size of a jar did you use?

thanks I'll give this a go I think!
It's a one gallon jar.
dash 2 said:
     I've made several batches of these lately. In the first batch, I used two reapers per quart jar (11 eggs). They weren't nearly hot enough. I think the acidity of the brine really cuts down the heat. In the last batch, I used seven reapers per jar. Now they're starting to get where I want them. I think in the next batch, I'm going to try a jar with a dozen pods. 
We only used the one Reaper in this gallon jar and it needs more. You can feel a little bit of heat, but it doesn't have the really good heat I want.
dday said:

Can you seal these for long term storage, or is it a make and use type of thing?

I'm salivating already...
Not that I know of, but I did find a few recipes on the net that allows for bulk canning of eggs. They were mainly on survivalist and homesteading websites.

Did you slice the reaper or open it at all? Just putting it in the jar wont give it much heat. I like to slice habs in half when I pickle kielbasa. 

I'm with BC on this one, not much for eggs but the brine ingrediants are killer, may have to substitute with something.....(gears turning)  :think:

LUCKYDOG said:
Did you slice the reaper or open it at all? Just putting it in the jar wont give it much heat. I like to slice habs in half when I pickle kielbasa. 

For what it's worth, I just mix up the brine and throw it and a bunch of pods in the blender. If wayright's tip about papaya is right, my next batch should be killer!

Ya'll are going to be passing more gas than the national gas grid!

But they look so good those intestinal JDAM's, have they got a timed fuse or is the explosion immediate? Airburst maybe...

Back