• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ph or something not right...

I've been working on two recipes and made a big batch of the both of them in equal proportions. The vinegar ratio is correct 10:1 as far as i can tell. The Ph meter I got today http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Temperature-Compensation-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B00LNSEZH2/ref=lp_393271011_1_2/189-1743430-4618132?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1410681645&sr=1-2 was not able to be calibrated. Probably user error.... I did the the two point calibration in room temp water but the final sauce read in at 4.6 ph which seemed really bizarre. I'm not really sure what I am doing wrong here. I guessed at the room temp of 69f and found a calibration for that range and then did the 4.01 packet. Everything seemed fine. Is the temperature of calibration solution that important under 25c or does it only have to be under that number? If it has to be that accurate, how do I measure that? I went out and got an electric thermometer but it wont display temps that low.

I did finish some other sauce but the two that I have now I had to chill until I can do something with them today. I'll probably mason jar them if I can't get this figured out. I'd hate to lose a bunch of sauce. It's strange that the same recipe I made before were ok as far as I can tell. I did't have a ph meter back then but they've been at room temp for over a month.  Any help would be appreciated. I'm not so used to the ph thing I think. Please.

EDIT: I just tested the ph of a commercial sauce and one I made last month and they read 3.26 and 3.66. So I guess it's calibrated right? I can't figure out why I'm getting high numbers though.

Back