wanted Wanted - Facing Heaven Pepper seeds

Hi all,

I'm looking for Facing Heaven Pepper seeds. Attached is a picture by Mik Kocikowski, an employee of The Spice Shop in London, UK, released into the public domain (by the author).

Wikipedia describes says this about them: "This dried chili pepper is described as a "pantry staple" in the Sichuan province of China by Fuchsia Dunlop in her cookbook Land of Plenty. She describes it as very fragrant and moderately hot (much less hot than tiny Thai chilies)." They have a citrusy taste and do not taste like a Thai pepper, even if they grow like one. Also the color is very vibrant and they dried peppers will color oil a deeper red than other peppers.

ChilliPepperPete in the UK has dried pods for sale, but I'm not sure if they can be imported to the USA and then, I don't have a clue how viable the seeds would be. I'll try this as a last resort.

Thanks for any help.

p.s. I will add that I'm happy to pay for the seeds. Sorry I didn't say that to begin with.

Attachments

• Facing_heaven_chili.jpg
    Facing_heaven_chili.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
miguelovic said:
Whoa-ho ho ho, guy just joins the site and is asking for seeds left right and centre.

Wierd, no?
Hey, don't want to disappoint you, but I'm happy to pay for the seeds. I'll update the ad to say that.

Check this topic, at least 2 guys who used to grow it. If no success, PM me, will see whan can do. When do you start your season?

You will learn miguelovic is about as smarmy as they come...take it with a grain of salt...it took me a tangle or two with him but he means no evil...only questionable thing about him is he's Canadian ...damn Canucks ...(I'm married to one before someone gets their panties in a bunch)...;)

Good luck on your seed hunt...;)
miguelovic said:
Awww, I thought you would get that as the joke I intended it as...
Orekoc said:
Hey, don't want to disappoint you, but I'm happy to pay for the seeds. I'll update the ad to say that.
But how you gonna pay for it if you don't use PayPal..per your sig...:)

I'll comment on them in order, so as not to post multiple times

miguelovic said:

Awww, I thought you would get that as the joke I intended it as...
Miguel my man, you have a very dry sense of humor and it is difficult for me to detect in the written word. To be honest, I'm having a bad day, so it was easy for me to take your post incorrectly. Also, I really don't want to be that guy taking everything and I have been worried about coming across that way, so ... Mea culpa? I'll take all of your posts as subtle humor from now on. ;)

rghm1u20 said:
Check this topic, at least 2 guys who used to grow it. If no success, PM me, will see whan can do. When do you start your season?
I have found another thread here about this pepper, but it didn't sound like it had the proper heat to it. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I need to start pepper seeds in February at the latest.

sp33d said:
You will learn miguelovic is about as smarmy as they come...take it with a grain of salt...it took me a tangle or two with him but he means no evil...only questionable thing about him is he's Canadian ...damn Canucks ...(I'm married to one before someone gets their panties in a bunch)... ;)

Good luck on your seed hunt... ;)

But how you gonna pay for it if you don't use PayPal..per your sig... :)
Thanks for the heads up on Miguel. I'll start calling him Derek now and see if that is too subtle a joke for him. Thanks for the good luck on the seed hunt.  Oh, there is this thing called the United States Post Office. They deliver mail 6 days a week, unless you are Amazon and then they'll deliver 7 days a week. Surprise, surprise, surprise, they also deliver non-junk mail! It might be a little slower, but it does the job.

Sorry, I missed Nova. I'll check them out. The second link says they no longer carry it. The first link, other than the color of the dried pepers seeming a bit off, look like the right ones. I'll try them.

Orekoc said:
I have found another thread here about this pepper, but it didn't sound like it had the proper heat to it. Thanks for the offer, I'll keep it in mind. I need to start pepper seeds in February at the latest.
Sorry, forgot to post the link....Posting now, not sure it is the same you found but no proper heat.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/38216-chaotianjiaos-2013-grow-log-a-little-bit-of-everything
Stupid thing, my comment was inserted on yours, and now can't edit because is loading no more (not a site problem, but here local, I am at work and many times I can't comment or edit posts....).

Maybe went over the head, unless it's a Gervais reference?

I was still chuckling even while I felt bad that it didn't go over so well.

sp33d said:
You will learn miguelovic is about as smarmy as they come...take it with a grain of salt...it took me a tangle or two with him but he means no evil...only questionable thing about him is he's Canadian ...damn Canucks ...(I'm married to one before someone gets their panties in a bunch)... ;)

For every ten bottles of Jamison, there's one Glenmorangie. For every ten Americans, there's one Canadian :rofl:

I see you choose your women wisely though :D

miguelovic said:
Maybe went over the head, unless it's a Gervais reference?

I was still chuckling even while I felt bad that it didn't go over so well.

Derek, Well, at least someone got a laugh. I'm chuckling today. I had to google the Gervais reference, never heard of it, but then I haven't watched TV in years, just buy DVD of shows I think I'll like. No commercials lowers the stress levels and you can watch an hour show in 45 minutes or so.

Sp33d - I tried to be funny. I read it today and realize I failed. Sigh. A comedian I'll never be.

Hmm. I'm not translating well. Let me add a few words.

miguelovic said:
I love my joke, I was still chuckling even while I felt bad that it didn't go over so well.

Says something about a person when they're the only one laughing at their own jokes :D

Miguelovic on Miguelovic.

Now I really feel like (am) an ass.

Still chuckling at my joke.

Commercials are a mental pain. I solve this by watching 2-5 shows at once. It infuriates anyone and everyone.

Wow Derek, I can give you a bad time without even trying. Go Me!

Look, it is ok. I've come to the conclusion that I'm almost always going to take something the wrong way, which says a lot about me, not you. I know you weren't laughing at me, so it is A O Kay by me. So now, lettuce both move one.

So, do you have any Facing Heaven Pepper seeds, Derek?

Wouldn't that really wrap this up after derailing your thread... I would if I could. I'm pepper seed poor, quantity and quality.

Just backspaced over some crazy. Twice. ¿que es Derek?

I assume he has named you after a rather inept former member, Phat Man Derek.

If the shoe fits...

I've now grown many, many, many varieties of this pepper.  The conoides variety I got from Lourens aka PeriPeri on the forum is the real deal.  It simply isn't a spicy pepper, but the flavor is unique and it's what you want if you're looking to cook Sichuanese food per Fuschia Dunlop, for instance.  I'll send you or anyone else seeds if they send me a SASBE.  I don't isolate though.

SichuaneseFoodFan said:
I've now grown many, many, many varieties of this pepper.  The conoides variety I got from Lourens aka PeriPeri on the forum is the real deal.  It simply isn't a spicy pepper, but the flavor is unique and it's what you want if you're looking to cook Sichuanese food per Fuschia Dunlop, for instance.  I'll send you or anyone else seeds if they send me a SASBE.  I don't isolate though.
Thank you so much. I pm is on the way.

Back