• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

super hot sauce making question

Im really new to pepper world this is my first year so I hadn't any super hot and its kinda hard to grow them in quebec so I got a mixed box from pex peppers with some choc and yellow 7-pot

20140914_201647_zps9af40386.jpg

I tried something with diverse ingredient 

2 chocolate 7-pot
7 yellow 7-pot
4 cayenne
1/2 onion 
3 garlic cloves 
2 cup water
3/4 cup orange juice
1 lime juice
tbsp honey
1 medium sized carrot
1/2 cup white vinegar
salt and pepper 

I think my proportion are not really good  ( too much hot peppers )so I sake the knowledge of this forum to get proportion right for next year

Cant really taste it since it kick my ass in 3 seconds but I really like the color

Thank you guys!

Like the wise THP souls suggested to me when I did the same thing and I doubled my indgredients exept the super hots along with adding a couple pounds of sweet peppers and that got me a tasty sauce.

You can take the sauce you have, add about 4x more Non-Hot ingredients, re-cook it and that will reduce the heat by about 1/2. 

If you'd like a sauce that is in the 3-out of-10 range, I'd suggest adding about 8 to 10 times more non-hot ingredients to dilute the heat.  When working with superhots and even with habs, a little goes a long way.  Re-batch/re-cook.  You can use the same bottles if they are wash/rinse/sanitized between batches. 

Good Luck!

Oh- and when tasting your original batch and thinking of how to tone it down, think about the flavor and what other vegetable or fruits would compliment the chile flavors.

Have FUN!!!

charlesquik said:
Im really new to pepper world this is my first year so I hadn't any super hot and its kinda hard to grow them in quebec so I got a mixed box from pex peppers with some choc and yellow 7-pot

20140914_201647_zps9af40386.jpg

I tried something with diverse ingredient 

2 chocolate 7-pot
7 yellow 7-pot
4 cayenne
1/2 onion 
3 garlic cloves 
2 cup water
3/4 cup orange juice
1 lime juice
tbsp honey
1 medium sized carrot
1/2 cup white vinegar
salt and pepper 

I think my proportion are not really good  ( too much hot peppers )so I sake the knowledge of this forum to get proportion right for next year

Cant really taste it since it kick my ass in 3 seconds but I really like the color

Thank you guys!
next time you try it with only 1 superhot and a couple of habanero's using the same ingredients. It will still be hot but nothing like the fire sauce you just made. I like to add a yellow and orange bell pepper in with a sauce like the one you just made. 

Another technique to consider is to combine everything together EXCEPT the hot pepper component. Taste and adjust ingredients until you hit the FLAVOR you're looking for. Then, gradually add the hot peppers (even one at a time) until you hit the heat level you're comfortable with. Take good notes, and when you're done, viola, you've created your very own sauce and recipe. :)

Also, if you're trying to create a shelf-stable sauce, don't forget to maintain your acid(s) to solids ratio.

You're off to a great start. Keep after it!

a little update

Alright added

1 apple, 
a handful of blackberry
2 tbs of honey
1 tbs of lime juice
3 carrot
1 orange bell pepper
1 garlic clove
1 medium onion
2 tbs salt

now the heat is around 8/10,  its tolerable 
but there is some bitterness ...

anyways here the new picture

20140915_153639_zps640c2272.jpg

charlesquik said:
now the heat is around 8/10,  its tolerable 
but there is some bitterness ...

Tasting *right before* you bottle is important.  If you have bitterness you can counter with salt/sweet.  I think I like the after color better than the before!

SmokenFire said:

Tasting *right before* you bottle is important.  If you have bitterness you can counter with salt/sweet.  I think I like the after color better than the before!

I've  add some honey and salt to counter it but still bitter, i fear ill lose too much ph if i add too much sweet

edit ive add more honey like 10 tbs and 5 tbs of salt and still some bitterness :s

I remember when I made my 1st sauce I used brain strains and I put waaaaaaaaaay too many brain strains in there and even thou I thought it was really good no one but me wanted to eat it bcuz I made it so damn hot I think I added a lb to a lb of tomatoes and 1/2 lb of cherries along with lime and orange juice  and some other ingredients lol but it was soooooooooooo HOT!

DownRiver said:
Another technique to consider is to combine everything together EXCEPT the hot pepper component. Taste and adjust ingredients until you hit the FLAVOR you're looking for. Then, gradually add the hot peppers (even one at a time) until you hit the heat level you're comfortable with. Take good notes, and when you're done, viola, you've created your very own sauce and recipe. :)

Also, if you're trying to create a shelf-stable sauce, don't forget to maintain your acid(s) to solids ratio.

You're off to a great start. Keep after it!
I guess you don't consider peppers flavor? To me the pepper should shine. Not just be heat. What you are suggesting is kinda like... "Hey, when making a tomato sauce, leave the tomatoes out... and taste the onion, garlic, and shallots to make sure you like the flavor. Then add the tomatoes."

Peppers ARE flavor. THE base flavor of a good hot sauce.

His ingredients above have LOTS of pepper flavor. The rest of the ingredients are for complexity, sweetness, and balance. So he should certainly not leave the peppers out and taste it, then add for heat.

The Hot Pepper said:
I guess you don't consider peppers flavor? To me the pepper should shine. Not just be heat. What you are suggesting is kinda like... "Hey, when making a tomato sauce, leave the tomatoes out... and taste the onion, garlic, and shallots to make sure you like the flavor. Then add the tomatoes."

His ingredients above have LOTS of pepper flavor. The rest of the ingredients are for complexity, sweetness, and balance. So he should certainly not leave the peppers out and taste it, then add for heat. 

Oh give me a friggin break!

It's the guy's FIRST attempt at making a hot sauce. I didn't want to insult him; I assume he KNOWS peppers have flavor.

And by the way, don't guess at what I do and/or don't consider; makes you look foolish.

Just because this is a process you don't care for, doesn't make it wrong.

That is all.

The Hot Pepper said:

His ingredients above have LOTS of pepper flavor. The rest of the ingredients are for complexity, sweetness, and balance. So he should certainly not leave the peppers out and taste it, then add for heat.
Well there's hot sauce and sauce that is hot. I like making both.

My hot sauce is mainly chilies with sometimes the addition of onion, garlic and sometimes other hot ingredients like ginger, coriander and the like.

Then there's my sauces that are hot and there I have a completely different flavor profile and the chilies are mainly to add the heat like a good jerk sauce.

I suppose everyone has their way, and maybe I overreacted at the "add peppers for heat" after you like the flavor.

If I were to amend that, I'd say, at least start with some of the peppers, and then add more for heat.

Sorry DownRiver!

There are several things that can help with bitterness in a sauce. Adding salt or sugar to the sauce is pretty traditional and works well though you may only need one, not both. I've also read that adding some red wine vinegar can help with it. Raw potatoes when added to a simmering sauce tend to act as magnets for things such as when your sauce is too salty. They also can help absorb the things that make your sauce bitter. 

Back