• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first attempt at sauce.

ingredients:

2 tomatillos
4 baby carrots
1 yellow tomato (seeded)
6 jalapenos
about 2 dozen red and orange habaneros
4 large cloves of garlic
half of a medium size onion
1 mango
one dropper full of stevia extract
pink sea salt to taste
half bottle of white vinegar
many dashes of malt and red wine vinegar
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds

I removed the placenta and most of the seeds from the peppers and I threw it all in a blender. I let it cook over medium heat til boiling and let it go for about 10 minutes.

I tried a little bit and it's not too bad. I may have to adjust seasoning, but i think it'll be okay. I just have to find bottles now so i can keep it and so i can give some away. I have the empty vinegar bottle and an old hot sauce bottle in the dishwasher getting cleaned for this purpose.

Did i miss anything? Suggestions?

It sounds great except:

1. ack...no placenta?? that's where most all the yummy heat is... ;)
2. pumpkin seeds and stevia? Trippy.

Congrats though..any sauce with 2 doz habs can't be too bad. >;-)

QuadShotz said:
It sounds great except:

1. ack...no placenta?? that's where most all the yummy heat is... ;)
2. pumpkin seeds and stevia? Trippy.

Congrats though..any sauce with 2 doz habs can't be too bad. >;-)
I hear ya about the placenta. I didn't take all of it out. I basically just got what my gloved fingers could remove quickly. Also, i only have two bottles to fill and some plastic containers. I wasn't 100% prepared here. Not only that, but i had to make it something my girlfriend would try.

I can assure you, it's pretty hot.

Trippy? You think so? Stevia was in place of sugar and i wanted a more herbal thing to it. The pumpkin seed idea was stolen from Blair. I noticed in his hotter sauces that he used them in there. I theorized that it had something to do with the fats and protiens in the seeds. I'm going to age the 2 bottles of sauce for a week to let them mature.

The sauce looks good too! It looks like yellow mustard. :lol: I'll post pics later on.

Ohhhh, I get it now.
I'd forgotten what Stevia was for..heh.

Recently I'd made a orange hab/mango sauce that was pretty good..nice to see folks using it. Papaya is fun too. :)

I still don't quite understand the pumpkin seeds though. Although apparently it gives a nice nutty flavor like in a chile de arbol

Cool. :cool:

QuadShotz said:
Ohhhh, I get it now.
I'd forgotten what Stevia was for..heh.

Recently I'd made a orange hab/mango sauce that was pretty good..nice to see folks using it. Papaya is fun too. :)

I still don't quite understand the pumpkin seeds though. Although apparently it gives a nice nutty flavor like in a chile de arbol

Cool. :cool:
I think the seeds also act as a thickener. Scientifically though, they have fat in them (though not much i suppose) which as we know capsaicin is soluble in fats, may act to extract a bit more heat.

The sauce is quite thick with a cool burn and a noticeable tang from the vinegar. It has an all over heat to it that i do enjoy. This might be a good sauce for enchiladas if i diluted it with a mild chili sauce.

Here is a shot.
S2010089.jpg

Good lookin' sauce!

As far as the seeds and placenta, I put the wet ingredients in a blender and... well blend them. After that, I just put all of the "dry" ingredients (peppers, onion, garlic, etc...) into the blender. Everything chops up nice and fine. Then everything gets cooked.

I get the pumpkin seeds. They give sauces a great taste. Their use is borrowed from Mexican and Guatemalan cuisine. A lot of sauces here use pumpkin seeds to enhance flavors (Moles and pepians). What I do wonder is if we use the same kind of seeds. Our pumpkin seeds are green but I have seen white pumpkin seeds used in the US. I like the green seeds better.

andres said:
I get the pumpkin seeds. They give sauces a great taste. Their use is borrowed from Mexican and Guatemalan cuisine. A lot of sauces here use pumpkin seeds to enhance flavors (Moles and pepians). What I do wonder is if we use the same kind of seeds. Our pumpkin seeds are green but I have seen white pumpkin seeds used in the US. I like the green seeds better.
Mine were green outside and white inside. I wish i had roasted them.

Glad this popped back up. I have stuck the two prepared bottles in the back of the cabinet to cure a bit as i think i said earlier. I saved some of the fresh sauce in the fridge.

Dinner last night was a multigrain english muffin with a blue cheese filled burger that i fried up. Along with a side of pickled peppadews and some jalapeno kettle cooked chips, i slathered on a huge blob of my homemade sauce. Long story short, it was the best dinner i've had in a long time and the best burger i've had since my visit to Jackson Hole.

I think i need to tweak the recipe a little bit, but the overall flavor of the sauce with food is way better than i expected. I would use a sauce like this every day. :)

Sickmont said:
You need to start bottling and selling it.
I've heard that a few times. Also heard i should become a chef. I'd just hate for a hobby to become work. I have no experience aside from my own kitchen. I don't think my job making egg sandwiches after i left high school counts as experience.

Besides, i'm not sure this sauce is ready for mass consumption. I need chiliheads to try it first.

fineexampl said:
I've heard that a few times. Also heard i should become a chef. I'd just hate for a hobby to become work. I have no experience aside from my own kitchen. I don't think my job making egg sandwiches after i left high school counts as experience.

Besides, i'm not sure this sauce is ready for mass consumption. I need chiliheads to try it first.

I am pretty certain theres plenty of volunteers on this site alone who would be more than willing to help a fellow chilehead out(especially with taste "testing");)

Sickmont said:
I am pretty certain theres plenty of volunteers on this site alone who would be more than willing to help a fellow chilehead out(especially with taste "testing");)

I noticed it was a special day today on THP. Happy Birthday my Chilehead Brother.
:bday:

talas said:
you beat me to it all the best with your sauce..you made the sauce for yourself first..and it tasted good that is a great success for a start :)
I've been getting nothing but positive reviews thus far. I might crack open the large bottle and heat it back up and rebottle it into smaller bottles. At the very least i can use it to make samples for friends or to use as a base to make a variation.

My plans for my next sauce/sauces will be one using fresh figs, perhaps maybe a fatali/fig sauce?? The flavors pictured in my mind for that are simply amazing. I want to do something with beer or a strong hoppy ale. I can't quite place the flavors for it in my mind yet though. I'm theorizing that strong beer + strong heat should pair well. Maybe that's the bhut jolokia sauce? I don't know.

Back