• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking for recommendations...

I love peppers! Habaneros are my favorites. I have a Bhut Jolokia that has thrown out some strange mutations but they all pack some heat although the flavor is a little bland. I mix them with my habs just to kick up the heat but am curious about other strains. What is out there that I can grow that will give me flavor with the heat? I'm in Hawaii so I can grow all year round (although my plants will "hibernate" a couple times a year). What are the flavor profiles in comparison to the habs of, say, Trinidad Scorpions or Morugas or Ajii's? I need to expand my palate a little and see what I've been missing.

Thanks in advance :dance:

Since I'm not good a seperating the flavor from the heat, I can't guide you much. I've been reading some good things on some of the crosses though. I think the SBJ7 is getting very good reviews on flavor. I thought maybe if I posted it would bump your post up and get you some better answers. Good luck.

Chocolate Habanero and Fatalii both have great flavour and are hotter than a habanero. I've heard good things about Jays peach ghost scorpion and plan to grow them next year.

Thanks guys for the recommendations!! So far Fatallis are on everyones list so that sounds like a good direction to go. Now I need to find the seeds. Juanitos, you have seeds for sale? I dont do paypal or credit cards but can do money order. To be honest I'm not that picky. I just have a hard time finding fresh seeds here and will be happy with anything different from what I have already.

Hawaiianero said:
Thanks guys for the recommendations!! So far Fatallis are on everyones list so that sounds like a good direction to go. Now I need to find the seeds. Juanitos, you have seeds for sale? I dont do paypal or credit cards but can do money order. To be honest I'm not that picky. I just have a hard time finding fresh seeds here and will be happy with anything different from what I have already.
send a private message to pepperlover http://thehotpepper.com/user/2187-pepperlover/
or go to her website http://pepperlover.com/

Also, keep posting, asking questions, etc. There are very generous people here that like to help, but they want to help people involved, not just the ones who check into get seeds and then disappear. Read the ads. The promotions. The contests. But read them, as often there are conditions that require you to have over or under a certain number of posts. Also, look at the date of the offering. It is easy to find offers from a couple of years ago. It is kinda embarrassing when you ask in that situation. Read the pinned post on hot to do a SASBE, as that will help.

I've asked sellers if I can prepay for things, with a MO, but I usually send cash. There is a gift card in the mail to one person. I doubt you can get a box of fresh peppers sent to you in Hawaii, but there are seeds for sale, powders, sauces, etc.

Main thing, have fun. End of lecture. Did you take notes? There will be a test.

Aleppo, Yellow 7 Pot, Carolina Reapers, 7 Pot Burgundy (are one of my favorite for heat and flavor they are amazing!) Bahamian Goat, Tepin x Lemon, SB7J , all the Scotch Bonnets.......there are tons of peppers with good flavor and heat. 

I think I might have some Fatalii seeds I'll have to check thou

I have Yellow and Chocolate Fatalii seeds

I just tried a brown moruga scorpion from kgetpeppers and it was floral and delicious, then gave way to searing pain. Definitely an awesome pepper! Other than that, Fatalii is definitely great. I got some white Fatalii from Judy (Pepperlover) a while back that were fruity as well as spicy, though not overpowering. Would be phenominal in a salsa.

I have cooked Judy's Brown Morugas with like burgers and steaks and they were awesome cooked red meat......I'm too much of a chicken to try her BMS by itself thou that sucka is beyond hot!

I actually recommend Pimenta de Neyde.  Some people think they have too sharp of a taste but it's become one of my favorite for omelets with a decent dose of habanero level heat.  If you're looking for a hot pepper that you can distinctively taste, that's one to consider.

juanitos said:
send a private message to pepperlover http://thehotpepper.com/user/2187-pepperlover/
or go to her website http://pepperlover.com/
Thanks Juanitos, I did and hopefully will soon be getting a few good strains :party:
Orekoc said:
Also, keep posting, asking questions, etc. There are very generous people here that like to help, but they want to help people involved, not just the ones who check into get seeds and then disappear. Read the ads. The promotions. The contests. But read them, as often there are conditions that require you to have over or under a certain number of posts. Also, look at the date of the offering. It is easy to find offers from a couple of years ago. It is kinda embarrassing when you ask in that situation. Read the pinned post on hot to do a SASBE, as that will help.

I've asked sellers if I can prepay for things, with a MO, but I usually send cash. There is a gift card in the mail to one person. I doubt you can get a box of fresh peppers sent to you in Hawaii, but there are seeds for sale, powders, sauces, etc.

Main thing, have fun. End of lecture. Did you take notes? There will be a test.
You're right Orekoc, I don't expect to get any fresh pods here, USPS takes minimum 3 days just for a letter. That post on SASBE is a real eye opener, thanks for pointing me there. I just wish I had more land to use. I never realised there were so many different peppers and I want to grow them all!!! :fireball:

Hawaiianero said:
Thanks Juanitos, I did and hopefully will soon be getting a few good strains :party:

You're right Orekoc, I don't expect to get any fresh pods here, USPS takes minimum 3 days just for a letter. That post on SASBE is a real eye opener, thanks for pointing me there. I just wish I had more land to use. I never realised there were so many different peppers and I want to grow them all!!! :fireball:
USPS will ship the flat rate boxes to all 50 states(including you) so don't be afraid to order some from someone(me lol?) if you want to try some out this year!

Back