• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

was watching the food network the other day......

there was a show on called unwrapped or some kind of show where they show alot of different stuff and the topic was hot sauces.they had a recipe and it was only on for like 2 sec and i missed it it was made with frostbite hot sauce and i think it used lemonade....anyone else heard of this or dose anyone have a good reicpe that uses frost bite?

I've had a question about frostbite for a while now.

One of the supposed "cures" for the burning sensation for the capsaicin is to swish Vodka in your mouth and spit it out. If this is true, then wouldn't making a drink with Vodka and Frostbite cancel the capsaicin effect :beer:

Or is it not true about Vodka killing the burning? (i've never tried as I prefer to simply suffer :fireball: )

-=john=-

i actualy wanted to send in a request to mythbusters and have them try all of these....i gotta admit i never heard the vodka thing....milk is a biggie for the stop of the burn
we have a local beverage here called cheerwine.....super good i was wondering what i could mix with that and some frostbite...now all i need is a name......hmmmmmm

Huvason - I've heard the vodka thing before and I know people that swear it works, so I'm not sure. When mixed the heat in Frostbite doesn't seem to fade at all, so maybe it has something to do with the amount of liqour your swishing & swallowing? :fireball:

Alcohol puts capsaicin into solution. However, most booze is only about 50% alcohol. Grain alcohol works a lot better, but it would make for a short evening, and a lot of projectile vomiting. I have found that pure sugar is the best bang for the buck when dealing with fire extinguishing. Capsaicin and sugar have a type of atomic bond to one another, and taking a packet of sugar and dissolving it in your mouth will draw the capsaicin crystals from the base of the stalks of your tastebuds. At most of the shows we do, there is always an individual, testosterone-filled due to the beer goggles he's wearing that tells us that they can eat ANYTHING hot. Well, after the near-convulsions, and various saline evacuations through the tear ducts, my empathetic side rears itself and I hand him a packet of sugar, VOILA! It doesn't completely take ALL of the crystals with it, but does take the bite out of it. Milk kind of works, but is more of a cover-up than a solution. By the time the milk exits the areas between the taste buds, the crystals have blown their wad in their heat-giving ways.

I've read that the vodka works much like the casean(sp?) in milk products (and to some extent bread - which only sops it up).

I guess I'll have to do my own mythbusters.

Oh well, another night of alcohol and hot sauce. All in the name of science of course!

-=john=-

DEFCON Creator said:
At most of the shows we do, there is always an individual, testosterone-filled due to the beer goggles he's wearing that tells us that they can eat ANYTHING hot.

I haven't been to any of the shows yet :fireball:

I'll try and leave my goggles at home this Saturday.

-=john=-

Capsaicin, fat, and liquor

Chemical engineer type here. Forgive the geek talk.

Any of the forms of capsaicin (monohydro, dihydro, homohydro, etc) are completely fat soluable - it dissolves into fats completely. It is partially alcohol soluable, only a fraction of the soluability of fats. Whole milk is better than 2% for 'killing the fire'. Swishing with olive oil would kill it even quicker, but where's the fun in that (not to mention the aftertaste)? Capsaicin is non-soluable in water - kind of like trying to throw water on a grease fire.

When I make my chili, I sautee the hottest peppers with the oil and meat - the capsaicin gets a nice transport in with the oil. Then, I always use a beer for a liquid 'filler' - for the added alcohol transport throughout the chili.

Re: Capsaicin, fat, and liquor

CeltHeat said:
When I make my chili, I sautee the hottest peppers with the oil and meat - the capsaicin gets a nice transport in with the oil. Then, I always use a beer for a liquid 'filler' - for the added alcohol transport throughout the chili.

Greetings,
My "eating" chili method goes like this, I normally use several beers to nicely transport the capsaicin enriched chili throughout my digestive system. Sometimes I use light beer, taste great and it's less filling.
Have A Nice Day!
The Cap'n

Re: Capsaicin, fat, and liquor

CeltHeat said:
Chemical engineer type here. Forgive the geek talk.

Any of the forms of capsaicin (monohydro, dihydro, homohydro, etc) are completely fat soluable - it dissolves into fats completely. It is partially alcohol soluable, only a fraction of the soluability of fats. Whole milk is better than 2% for 'killing the fire'. Swishing with olive oil would kill it even quicker, but where's the fun in that (not to mention the aftertaste)? Capsaicin is non-soluable in water - kind of like trying to throw water on a grease fire.

Ah, but our cup runneth over in engineers and chemists! My understanding is that ethanol just puts the capsaicin in a wider swath in your mouth, thereby spreading the heat around a little more. I've never tested the theory of whether the proof of the alcohol made a difference (such as beer vs. spirits), but who wants to try to douse the heat with that much volume in spirits anyways? That is, unless you really like to regurgitate.

Dairy products work great, and I had the whole milk mustache going after the last batch of the Creator's wings we whipped up here at home. Anything dairy works well, but I also favor using peanut butter in a pinch. It's got that great mix of fats with a little sweetness. Not exactly what the folks at Jif had in mind when they made their first batch, I'm sure.

- Joe

Wait a minute!!! If you inject capsaicin into the stem of a peanut plant, could you perhaps create a naturally hot peanut butter? If my memory is correct, the peanut is a tuber and quite resilient. Considering the metabolism of tubers as well as considering the size of the capillaries against the granular size of the capsaicin crystal...Time to turn on the vents again... :silenced:

Hey man, spicy beer nuts, for those who can't find chili beer. Wow, what a marketing angle.

Oh man, just remembered a horrible joke...
What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?
Deer nuts are under a buck. :roll:

Back