• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Hot sauce longevity?

Hello,

First year growing/doing anything with peppers and I might have some regular orange habaneros left over. I'm drying everything else (which I imagine can still be used as normal, non-dried peppers for all intents and purposes), but I was thinking about making a sauce... something simple. I happened upon this recipe and therein lies my question. If I were to make that, how long would the product last, assuming refrigerated? I'm used to sauces like Tabasco ans Sriracha where a couple months is nothing... I just don't want to have to go through a bottle of sauce in a week so it doesn't spoil and I have to toss it.

Thoughts?

Personally i would leave the olive oil out of the recipe, it serves no purpose that i can think of and would be the only ingrediant to harbour bacteria in there, just skip the step where you soften the carrots in the pan and throw them in with the other ingrediants when you do your boil.

With that much lime juice and vinegar i would hazard a guess that the sauce would be good in a couple of years time if kept in the fridge so don't worry about a week/month or whatever. Best of luck nailing a recipe that you like and remember to ALWAYS write down what amounts you are putting in there. Too many times has an inebriated idiot (me) made a kick ass sauce only to not be able to replicate it because they didn't write it down!

:cheers:

Though I agree with omitting the oil (just simmer ingredients in juice/vinegar) if you like go ahead and make it - 3 cups of sauce with that acidity will last for months in the fridge (oil or not).  Plenty of recipes around here too if you poke around too.  Freezing is also an option, and sauce can be made w frozen pods as easily as fresh.  :)

I've been canning for some time now and most people I know say you shouldn't use oils unless you pressure can but as long as its stored in the refrigerator should be ok for a limited time. Usually don't add oil to my sauces unless I sauteed and ingredient in it. Then I always pressure can. Who. :)

Back