• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

storage C. eximium freezing experiment

I tried an experiment recently while I was cold stratifying some temperate plants and decided to see if there was any difference in germination times if I were to freeze C. eximium seeds.  I had the seeds frozen from July 28-August 28 and planted them in the dirt along with some seeds that had not been frozen.  This fellow right here spread wings on September 13 and has been growing very rapidly, it was one of the frozen ones.  Still no activity with any of the other C. eximium seeds though. 

I was originally unsure of how the wilds would react to being frozen but it seems to make a difference on my very small scale observations here and I may try this with other wilds like my C. chacoense.  I think if anyone else has any measurable, conclusive data about frozen seeds germinating faster it may be a sure-fire way of helping out with germinating wild seeds in particular.  Of course, they have to be completely dry before freezing them if anyone else wants to try.

and a pic
20140915_211746_zpsiyhe79dl.jpg

beer2beer said:
Wow, that's really news for me. The seeds you froze... were they new (recently harvested)?

A hug!
I'm thinking that they were at least a month or two since being harvested, I'm not entirely sure.  The main thing is to be sure that they are completely dry before freezing them, otherwise any moisture in the embryonic tissue inside the seed will be destroyed.

Got it, thank you ikeepfish! If you don't mind, I would like to try your experiment with some C. Praetermissum seeds that I have. Shall I start a new thread or post on this one? I'm fresh meat on this forums and don't wanna be invasive or something. Anyway, I'll follow this thread (curious and anxious).

A hug!

Just as a safety measure, my seed box is kept in the refrigerator all the time. I think doing that is better for the seeds as it helps to keep them fresher than if you kept at room temperature. I had seed that had been frozen for a long time (years) in my freezer and had them spout as if they were freshly dried and planted. 

Oh I almost forgot that keeping them cold helps to kill any mold or bacteria should they get any moisture in the seed packets.

beer2beer said:
Got it, thank you ikeepfish! If you don't mind, I would like to try your experiment with some C. Praetermissum seeds that I have. Shall I start a new thread or post on this one? I'm fresh meat on this forums and don't wanna be invasive or something. Anyway, I'll follow this thread (curious and anxious).

A hug!
Yeah man either way let us know what's up!  I have some C. praetermissum as well I can try it out, but it will probably be December before I start any more peppers.

Back