The Hot Pepper Awards 2014 NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little confused by the splitting of the categories by heat Can you explain that? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it sounds like your tripling the number of categories...

I would like to enter my new product
"HELLTACO'S OWEN" Spicy Enemas, "for those who like hot ass shit"
but I'm leery of submitting the $40 entry fee into the open class without guarantee that my product will be thoroughly and correctly tested and judged.   

Helltaco said:
I would like to enter my new product
"HELLTACO'S OWEN" Spicy Enemas, "for those who like hot ass shit"
but I'm leery of submitting the $40 entry fee into the open class without guarantee that my product will be thoroughly and correctly tested and judged.   
You do realize that this is only open to commercial products?
Perhaps my googling skills are faltering but I didn't see anything online for sale called "HELLTACO'S OWEN" Spicy Enemas, "for those who like hot ass shit"

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Heat is very subjective, does this go by what is labeled? 

Good question.  If chileheads are judging I would rank my sauces as medium. The general population would rank them as hot.  My labels say either medium or medium-hot.

We've always asked the heat level when you enter, it's always been on the form. Just enter what level you tell consumers.

And we've always categorized by heat, example:

MILD
1st - InsaneChicken - Honey Mustard BBQ Sauce
2nd - Bill's Best - Original BBQ Sauce
3rd - InsaneChicken - Big Pecker BBQ Sauce

MEDIUM
1st - Fireland Foods - Whiskey BBQ Hot Sauce
2nd - Grumpy's Private Reserve - Bold XX
3rd - Grillin' Bill's - Honey Habanero 

HOT
1st - Bill's Best - Spicy BBQ Sauce
2nd - Grumpy's Private Reserve - Black Label
3rd - Patter Fam Sauces - Hot Barbecue Sauce

EXTRA HOT
1st - Big Daddy's - Big Bad Trinidad
2nd - Mayhem Mike's - Trinidad Torture
3rd - Cobra Chilli - Trinidad Barbecue Sauce

Then after that, different styles were listed. This was for BBQ, Wing, etc.

The only thing different is, we applied the Heat Level to Hot Sauce this year, in order to make a more streamlined experience and to maintain the integrity of the Awards.

There are tons of categories you could create for hot sauce, it's really endless, and when there are too many categories, we don't feel the winners shine. Since the possibilities are endless, and always changing, and we want a core of categories to remain consistent each year, we applied the heat levels to Hot Sauce, cut some of the more random categories, and moved all of the Specialty sauces to their own category.

If you click to enter you may understand it better. You will enter the sauce name, choose its heat level, and if you wish to enter a second category, we've reduced that fee to $10 instead of it being the full entry fee. The second category is essentially the base, or type of sauce it is. Is it pepper, fruit, unique?

This lets one see how the sauce compares to its superhot brothers and sisters, as well as the other fruit sauces. Both are important and hold their merits. We feel this is the best way, and are always trying to improve each year.

If you click to enter you can see it broken down. Basically you'll select Heat, and then, if you wish, you can select Style which is essentially the base/type. Pepper, Fruit, Unique.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Heat is very subjective, does this go by what is labeled?

Yes, and it's also there just so we know what to expect, and only Hot Sauce, Specialty Hot Sauce, Salsa, and BBQ Sauce are categorized by heat. Same as last year, except Hot Sauce was added.

Dry Spice, Condiment, and Open Class are categorized by the type of product entered. However we still ask the heat level.

I hope this answers all your questions.

So if I want to enter a sauce under the medium category into both Specialty (ethnic) and Hot Sauce (pepper blend) then it will cost $100? But to enter a sauce under the medium category into just the hot sauce Hot Sauce category (fruit and pepper blend) then it would cost $60? 

Correct. You are talking about two different top categories vs. one top category and an additional sub-category. Decide if it is specialty or not and enter accordingly. Is it a wing sauce, or just for fish, or dessert? I can understand wanting to enter both but choose what is most appropriate. If it fits both, it fits both. Not sure of the product, but you are, so it's up to you.

Sorry for all the questions but I have a couple more.
  1. For pepper-specific, will it be entered for every pepper type listed in the ingredients or just the first pepper listed? I don't see a place to enter the pepper type.
  2. For "What is the ONE food this product is best on/with", I assume you are looking for something general like "steak", "eggs" or "beef enchiladas" and not something like "beef enchiladas smothered in cheese and tomatillo sauce".
Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, two bottles for each category, so for each bottle entered under say, medium, and two optional categories, we would submit 6 bottles. So a total of three flavors w/ each using both optional categories would require 18 bottles submitted, not 6.  Correct? 

EDIT2:
Alright, last question, I promise. I went to add the extreme business membership but there was no discount to my entry.  Do I need to add the membership first and then come back later and place my entry under a separate transaction? Will I get credit toward the extreme business membership based on how much is left of my extreme membership?

1. There is now a box for Pepper-Specific. :)

2. General or specific, if you are specific we will deduce it to general if needed. This is from last year (could be similar, could be different):

FOODIE AWARDS

Best on Eggs - K-Sauce - K2 Keenan's Killer Mean Green Hot Sauce
Best on a Sandwich - Intensity Academy - Saucy Everything
Best on Sausage - Uncle Bunk's - Hot Mustard Relish
Best on Corn - Halo's - Engine No. 9
Best on Ice Cream - Johnson Berry Farm - El Diablos' Strawberry Stinger

If you say seafood gumbo or catfish, and we do seafood, it would be considered. It could be something specific, it all depends on the results.

3. You can submit two bottles per product entered no matter how many categories it is in.

4. Yes you need to do that first. Don't buy a new one, there is an upgrade option from your Client Area. It will pro-rate it.

:)

Thanks THP.  I have a jar of the Johnson Berry Farm - El Diablos' Strawberry Stinger in the pantry from when I went to Washington State this summer. Damn good.

It is an amazing product, try it on ice cream as suggested. :)

PS.

Not sure if you noticed but there is also Ethnic under Hot Sauce.

The difference would be in how you define your sauce, specialty or not, as for which top category to use.

If it is an everyday hot sauce you can use on pretty much anything, but is Asian, this would be Hot Sauce >> Ethnic.

If it is a hot sauce designed for a specific use and it is Asian, this would be Specialty Hot Sauce >> Ethnic.

Does this help clear that up?

Description on form:

This is the Specialty Hot Sauce category. Specialty Hot Sauces have specific uses... wing sauce, jerk sauce, sushi sauce, dessert sauce, etc. They are designed for a certain food or a certain style of cooking.

Sriracha = Hot Sauce
Asian Wing Sauce = Specialty

Yeah, when I first looked the other day at work there were only 4 categories under hot sauce.  Now there are 8.  I'm hot sauce all the way.

Yes that issue with categories was fixed.

Hope all your questions have been answered. :)

In!

Early bird challenge accepted.

Shocker: did not enter the sauce that won the overall THPA last year.
:dance:
I like the new format. It made entering much easier since 3 forms got me 9 entries, and the discount entries for same-sauce / multiple categories is a unique approach. Interesting change, THP. I think it's a positive.
:cheers:

In before the Early Bird expired :)  Sending a box over tomorrow morning :)

Hot Sauce Category of Hot > subcat is Habanero

:dance:

I was a bit confused but it makes it more specific I think.  You drill into the category most accurate... (did I do that correct?  Hot sauce > Hot > Habanero) ? Entering Cinder Habanero, as it was the only commercially ready product at the time. (Edit3: found my own answer)

Edit: ok now I'm confused.  Is hot sauce, and subcat of habanero sauce considered 2 separate categories?

Edit2: If I read that right, all entries are auto-entered into the industry artwork / design bonus category?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back