• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Orange habs with tails

Bought an Orange Habanero plant from the local nursery, and some of the pods (maybe 1/3 or so) have tails like scorpions. The pods are generally pointier than I expect Habs to be, whether or not they have in-folded tails like the ones pictured below. The first two pods to ripen happen to have had tails, so those are the ones I'm posting a picture of (plus one oddly shaped runt). Any idea what might have happened here?

rLvZ6rS.jpg

YTN5Mju.jpg

Zoli said:
I like the color & shape of these pods, cross or not :party:

Haha, thanks! I haven't cut into one of these yet, but if they're tasty I'll definitely save some seed and see if I can get them to retain that shape next year.

hottoddy said:
Could be a cross with a scorpion variety, or maybe a strain of yellow scorpion. Check out this yellow scorp pic:

yellow-scorp.jpg

Interesting! I was thinking they might be a hab/scorpion hybrid of some sort... they're definitely more orange than the ones pictured above. I haven't dealt much with hybrid pepper plants until this year -- is it likely that I'd have a wide range of pod phenotypes coming from a single plant? As I said in my original post, some of the pods have this in-folded "scorpion" look, and some are more normally shaped pods that are just a bit pointier than I expect from a pure hab.

They seem a bit more orange than yellow, but not an orange I think of for an orange hab. Anyway, you might want to save lots of seed if it has a good heat and taste. People here will want to help stabilize it.

It looks a bit like BOC (Bhut Orange Copenhagen). I have a red Hab plant doing the same thing. But mine look and taste like just regular habs on the inside. I like the look of these, as well! Beautiful pods!

bckline said:
Bought an Orange Habanero plant from the local nursery, and some of the pods (maybe 1/3 or so) have tails like scorpions. The pods are generally pointier than I expect Habs to be, whether or not they have in-folded tails like the ones pictured below. The first two pods to ripen happen to have had tails, so those are the ones I'm posting a picture of (plus one oddly shaped runt). Any idea what might have happened here?
Do you have a photo of the plant?

harry said:
Do you have a photo of the plant?
Sorry, went off the radar for a couple of days. I'll take a picture of the plant tomorrow morning. It's actually not very healthy, for reasons I'm not really sure of. Undergrowth was nice and healthy, then the upper leaves started coming out small and yellowing quickly. If anyone has any suggestions when pics are available tomorrow, I'd love to hear them.

Unfortunately, most of the rest of the pods on the plant look pretty hab-ish. That in-folded shape seems to have been the exception rather than the rule, and those two most dramatic pods just happened to be the first to ripen and catch my eye.
TuccASh.jpg

Back