• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bill Moore's Review of Judy's Black Lava 7 Pot

With 2015 on the horizon, thanks to the mischievous ambitions of growers/horticulturists who have managed to harness capsaicin's potential, the Bhut Jolokia has been surpassed by a veritable army of "designer" superhots. Obviously we know about the Carolina Reaper, but most of those aren't test-grade heat (the 2.2 million record heat). Some believe the Reapers in circulation to be on par with other varieties in the neighborhood of 1.5 mill SHU. Still blistering, but no match for the (yet untested) now widely feared cultivars like the Chocolate Brain Strain, and the Chocolate Bhutlah. The handful of chileheads daring enough to try these (whole) generally agree they're unofficially the hottest on the planet. But as everyone knows, they're unstable yet (I believe the Chocolate Bhutlah is only F2).

I only mention all of this for context leading into Bill Moore's ( Bill Moore's Hot & Spicy Reviews channel on Youtube) video review of Judy's (PepperLover) ostensibly hush-hush "Black Lava" 7 Pot project. I ran a search here and couldn't find anything, so I thought it worth posting. I may be reading too much into this, and it's possible Bill just had an "off day" with his tolerance, but gauging the reaction by the normally stoic Bill, is Judy's top secret Black Lava rivaling the Chocolate Bhutlah and Brain Strain for the hottest pepper crown? Either way, really looking forward to when she goes public with these.

-

Cool video [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Brian [/SIZE] where did you find it :shh: 

Yes. you are correct, this is the first review, and the first time the pod name is shared or released, also, you are correct still have long ways to go before calling it a stable strain and sharing it with public or taking off with it to "Guinness" and applying for records...etc.  Like the chocolate brain strain. The Red Lava.....More time more testing more selecting and re-selecting 

Thank you for adding the "Black Lava" name to THP data base before me though   ;)

Wow, Judy is just amazing. Haha I think I'm in love. Seriously though she must be a superhero because there is no way she sleeps with the sheer number of insane creations that she is constantly releasing, tweaking, testing. Every time I see one of her new babies I feel like a kid 2 months away from christmas morning, it just can't get here fast enough. That's exactly how I am when it comes to waiting on her creations to stabilize so I can buy seeds and try these nuclear nightmares myself. I find myself checking the website everyday just to take a peek and see if maybe it's time lol. It's worse now that she's said she will be adding a bunch of new varieties soon, I must be checking the site 3 times a day now. And once she releases the Lavas then I'll be waiting on the chocolate brain strain. One things for sure, as many creations as she has up her sleeve I'll always have something new to look forward to. I just found out a few weeks ago that she has her own bhutlah chile. I don't know about the other one but hers is just freaking insane so if you love crazy heat and you see her selling them definitely order some as they sell out FAST!

PepperLover said:
Cool video [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Brian [/SIZE] where did you find it :shh: 

Yes. you are correct, this is the first review, and the first time the pod name is shared or released, also, you are correct still have long ways to go before calling it a stable strain and sharing it with public or taking off with it to "Guinness" and applying for records...etc.  Like the chocolate brain strain. The Red Lava.....More time more testing more selecting and re-selecting 

Thank you for adding the "Black Lava" name to THP data base before me though   ;)

Whatever diabolical brew of pepper DNA you're secretely coalescing in that lab, keep it up, Judy. Few have managed to shake Bill Moore that way, so this one really got my attention.

I'm fascinated with this growling assault of new darker pods kind of bullying everyone out of the way as of late. Really excited to see how these play out.

An aside, I just shot over an order for your Bhutlahs. My tongue has been lounging on vacay for the past few weeks. It's time to get it back in the gym.

Scorched said:
Wow, Judy is just amazing. Haha I think I'm in love. Seriously though she must be a superhero because there is no way she sleeps with the sheer number of insane creations that she is constantly releasing, tweaking, testing. Every time I see one of her new babies I feel like a kid 2 months away from christmas morning, it just can't get here fast enough. That's exactly how I am when it comes to waiting on her creations to stabilize so I can buy seeds and try these nuclear nightmares myself. I find myself checking the website everyday just to take a peek and see if maybe it's time lol. It's worse now that she's said she will be adding a bunch of new varieties soon, I must be checking the site 3 times a day now. And once she releases the Lavas then I'll be waiting on the chocolate brain strain. One things for sure, as many creations as she has up her sleeve I'll always have something new to look forward to. I just found out a few weeks ago that she has her own bhutlah chile. I don't know about the other one but hers is just freaking insane so if you love crazy heat and you see her selling them definitely order some as they sell out FAST!

Agree, in fact I'm tempted to start an indoor setup again just get some of these in the dirt myself. I was forced into grower's retirement thanks to an unrelenting horde of aphids last season. But the surplus of exotic varieties in circulation now has whet my appetite.

Ditto on Chocolate Brain Strains. I think the line for those is getting pretty long. I'm also in the market for Borg 9, and Defcon 7. Curious to compare and contrast them with their lookalikes to see if there's any significant differences.

Ideally my plan is to make a sauce out of a mix of all black peppers. I'm sure this has already been done, but I doubt with anything approaching the SHU that this Black Lava can impart.

Nice! That pod looks absolutely wicked! And by the looks of this review I would say that's pretty accurate. 

Back