• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's on my plant?

I noticed these little white things on some of the leaves of my habanero plant. They fall off easily and are mainly on the inner leaves and don't seem to be moving (but look like they maybe have legs). Any idea what it is or if its a problem?

hab_zpsafe46adf.jpg

A close up or macro shot would greatly improve expedient diagnosis. but, first thoughts  based on pic provided is sheds from Aphids.

Treat with permethrin.

If they're not moving then aphid sheds as CAPCOM suggested. You can either use chemicals if you want, or for natural remedies either ladybugs, lace wing larvae or aphid wasps are great.

Ugh - sorry to hear that. I see you're in Canada - get ladybugs quick! (If you're going that route. They're the best, IMO, but you would need to bring the plants inside and release the ladybugs inside, as well, if it snows.)

Peaking online, it looks like most places that sell ladybugs around here are done for the year. I might just have to send my kids outside ladybug hunting before it gets cold out again. In the meantime, I brought the plant in and washed off a good chunk of them. I don't see any on the leaves now, but can't be confident that I got every single one of them so would like to bring in a few ladybugs if I can get my hands on them. DH isn't thrilled about me letting ladybugs free in his office (where I set up all of my plants indoors in the winter time since the door shuts so I can keep the cat away from them) but it sure beats millions of aphids!

I finally got my gnat problem under control, will ladybugs also help with that should they choose to return?

Likely, though it depends on the variety. Some will eat anything they can get, others are picky. 

Yeah, washing off just removes the adults - it doesn't do anything for the eggs. If you think you can get ladybugs (on your own or otherwise), just keep washing the aphids off until you get some - any insecticide you use will also kill the ladybugs. Note it doesn't take a lot, as ladybugs are rather voracious eaters. If you don't think you can get ladybugs, however, you can use insecticidal soap or neem oil. Insecticidal soap is the safest if you have pods on the plants, but requires daily spraying not only until the aphids are no longer visible, but continually for at least a couple more weeks to ensure you get the emerging larvae.

Back