• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Spice bottles source

Where is everybody getting their bottles for their spice concoction. I tried to order 100 bottles for liquid and the reducer and here is the price I got quoted for shipping:

Shipping Method               Please select the preferred shipping method 
to use on this order.  
pixel_trans.gif
shipping_ups.gif
pixel_trans.gif
        Ground $125.47     2nd Day Air $163.05     Next Day Air $270.13    
AYFKM!!
I could buy cases of tobasco and relable them for this price. Pretty much the same thing for spice powder shakers. Am I doomed to selling product in seal-a-meal packaging or is there a vendor that actually cares about shipping price for their items?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Forgot to add, I'm in Hawaii so I expect a little increase in shipping price but I know the large flat rate boxes can ship in a fraction of the cost.

Seacowboy said:
Depending on how many you want to order sks has free shipping after $250. Works out to be @ 0.56 per bottle.
Yeah, unfortunately I'm not continental US. Even though shipping anything really is the same cost, most companies consider us as being international and charge us accordingly. Usually I think of it as a small price to pay but c'mon, $125  to ship something that is the same cost as shipping to California?  :tear:

I use Freund.  10 cases (12 per box) of 5oz woozys are less than $60.  I can't find a rough shipping quote to 96740, but it might be worth your time to contact them.  They have spice bottles too.

SmokenFire said:
I use Freund.  10 cases (12 per box) of 5oz woozys are less than $60.  I can't find a rough shipping quote to 96740, but it might be worth your time to contact them.  They have spice bottles too.
Thanks SmokenFire. Called em, same story. I do have a plan B, gonna drop the bottles to my Son in Seattle and have him ship to me from there.

Edit:
After hearing all the noise about this alibaba stock craziness in the last few days, I went to alibaba.com to see what it's all about. It's like an international e-bay. I can get spice bottles and lids shipped to me with total cost being less than 25 cents a bottle. Downsides are, they come from china and minimum order is a "container" load. :shame:

I don't know how cases of 5 oz woozies will fit into a LFRB, but if they were just layered in, you could probably get 3 cases of bottles per box.  Drop Ship to Seattle is probably your best option.

I do know some people buy sauces at the Dollar Store, dump out the sauce and re-use the bottle.  That only works with lids that can be replaced with fresh lids or lids that don't have liners.  Check out Making hot Sauce 101 for more info~

Good Luck!   

fire in the hole! said:
i used fillmore container, but have only ordered once- 48 5 oz bottles, lids, reducers, shrink wrap, and a funnel around $55 shipped.
That's a price I could deal with. How big was the box? Curious as I need dimensions for shipping from my son's house to me.

Edit:
Only asking because if the cost is not much different than if I were to direct ship then I might as well take the easier route and pay the money up front.

okay grand total was $56.10, box wasnt too big..maybe 2x 1.5x 1 ft. they dont have the woozie that include caps and reducers etc, but they do carry everything- i want to say the caps are $.08 ea, reducers $.04, 250 shrink wraps for $7 and around $12-13 for 12 glass bottles
i was originally going to order 24 bottles but on a $25 order shipping was around $12, so i doubled the quantity and shipping went up to around $14-15

charlesquik said:
Yes so 70,92$ in total for a 27 $ order
That is absurd and im sure i would get brokerage fee on top of that cause ups is the worse company ever
Well I guess I need to stop bitchin so much. Now I just gotta see if shipping from Seattle to Hawaii will save me anything before I start drop-shipping on my son's doorstep.

If you know anyone who owns/manages a local retail or food service operation they could likely order bottles wholesale through their existing distributors.  If they're cool you'll see a discount per bottle AND on shipping, since they'll come with their normal shipments.  A buddy of mine was working on contract in Saipan for a couple three years did the same thing. 

Again, you can probably find bottles with This Shape at the Dollar Store, empty the sauce and get new caps for them.  Specialty Bottle will sell just the caps, contact them directly for the correct size.  And from a previous post, Freund sells caps separately also.   A bit more work but for the $$$ for shipping you'll get a lot more bottles!

Might not be the exact shape, but it would work... 

Back