• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Blue garlic sauce

Started a ferment Wednesday night 9/24/14

125g purple potatoes
500g garlic

12g Mediterranean sea salt
388g water

1 probiotic capsule

I forgot to take pictures before everything went in the food processor, but here's the aftermath

Hjd4EDQ.jpg

D5iyLeh.jpg

b6fbGXP.jpg

I used purple potatoes to help encourage/enhance the blue color garlic turns when it ferments.

I'll add new pictures as the ferment is under way.

beets would also help with the color~

Interesting fermentation vessel~  :lol:  love it!

Keep us posted and Have Fun!

I thought about beets. But beets are RED, where as the purple potatoes are red/blue.

Thought about using blueberries. but they're much more expensive, and I don't like the sound of blueberries and garlic.

The probiotic taqblets are full of active lactobicillus. This is the forst time I've used them, but have to assume they will help.

The ferment is already a nice blue green color. Hope it continues to change colors

Poppy seeds are blue...Theres blue corn and blue corn tortillas...Ive made mashes with tons of garlic and my tap water turns the garlic blueish..

Not sure why you want a blue sauce but might help.....

PrimeTime said:

Why not?  Being creative helps pave the way for more ideas.

I know it's more of a novelty but this attempt I did was pretty hot.  I'll never actually produce it because I refuse to sell something using HF Corn Syrup:

blue steel scorpion.jpg

This was made by taking 1/2 gallon mason jar, filling it half full of Berry Blue Typhoon Hawaiian Punch concentrated shaved ice flavoring and packing it to the top with Red Scorpion peppers, that were halved.

I let it infuse for 6 months, strained out the chilies, and put them into a press and squeezed any extra juice out of it.  Milled out the seeds, added it to a pot, added a tad more corn syrup until it had the desired consistency and called it a day.  The chilies had changed from red to purple (I discarded these), and the result was pretty friggin hot.  I couldn't find much use for it though other than to put it on vanilla ice cream, it was too hot to eat on anything else and the blue color didn't mesh well with anything, not to mention probably not good for you either, being 98% dyed HFCS and probably 2% capcasin oil.

It's fun to make, but I couldn't think of anything applicable to pair it with, and now I have a case of 5oz bottles that I'll never use just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.  A conversation piece at best.

Blue doesn't really happen in nature too often, and I can't think of a truly chartreuse colored food that naturally occurs.  Heinz tried this a while back with purple and green ketchup.  It tasted the same but aside from kids, no one bought into it.

PrimeTime said:
Poppy seeds are blue...Theres blue corn and blue corn tortillas...Ive made mashes with tons of garlic and my tap water turns the garlic blueish..

Didn't know poppy seeds were blue.
Thought about using blue corn tortillas, but there's lard in tortillas (I think). I know they sell blue cornmeal, but they sure don't at my store.

Why a blue sauce?
That's a real question I'll answer:
1. I think it is cool that garlic turns blue when it ferments.
2. A fermented garlic sauces sounds delicious.
3. If I'm going to make a sauce that will most likely turn blue (and think that's cool), I'm going to do everything I can to make it blue without negatively affecting the flavor.

Kalitarios said:

Why not?  Being creative helps pave the way for more ideas.

"It's fun to make, but I couldn't think of anything applicable to pair it with, and now I have a case of 5oz bottles that I'll never use just sitting on a shelf collecting dust.  A conversation piece at best."

"and the blue color didn't mesh well with anything"

Anywho...

Ive done mashes that are almost all garlic and it all tinted blue, Im pretty sure its from chlorine in tap water. Once run in the blender it looked like garlic again as its just the surface. I guess if you exposed more surface area it might stay blue.

The cornmeal might be worth a shot as your carb in a ferment. 

Don't give up on it!

A note on getting garlic to turn blue. Crushing it makes a big difference. I use garlic a lot when I make pickles, and I normally crush mine. I've found the crushed parts turn blue when you put them in the brine.(Acid) So maybe mashing the garlic instead of chopping it will help effect the color.

A friend of China told me he put garlic in vinegar (not brine, but only vinegar) and keep the jar in the fridge. I did the same, the garlic turns a bit mild than raw one, also have the taste of vinegar, and the vinegar have a nice garlic flavor. But what I want to say (and what I like at this) is that the garlic turns blue, or greenish blue, very nice color. As DaQatz say, maybe you could try to mash it and maybe keep in the brine as he say, or try with only vinegar, and see the result.

Did a quick search, and cornmeal lacto ferments just fine. (there are African fermented cornbread recipes)

I'm going to find some blue cornmeal and try a second garlic ferment with that!

Hey all,

Pickled and fermented garlic will often go either blue or green; in China they call it Laba Garlic, and it's a specialty.

I'm no biochemist, but from a bit of gooling (plus doing a half-gallon batch of garlic/ginger/onion sauce)... I gather that putting garlic with onions increases the chance of the colour change from white to blue/green, apparently due to a chemical reaction that creates pyrroles (chemically similar to chlorophyll, apparently - hence the green colour).

My big batch went from white to blue to green, and I'd be fascinated to know if anyone knows if there's a way of keeping the white colour of the garlic, and/or keeping the blue colour rather than transitioning through the whole process?

Best,

James N

Back