Whats a good bread machine?

Hey guys,

I am thinking about getting a bread machine. Growing up with my grand parents, they always made bread in their bread machine.
The taste and texture was WAY better than grocery store bread.

I remember coming home to homemade bread and soup. Flippin' awsome!
After looking around, it looks like it comes out to .80-1.00 a loaf! The cheapest bread I can find at my local stores is .99 cents a loaf and taste like cardboard.

So I am looking on Craigslist for a machine but have no idea what is good and what isn't. And what format is better, horizontal or vertical? and why?.

Thanks guys!

~Cayenne

It's more what kind of shape of sandwiches you prefer really. Vertical ones take up less kitchen space normally, but have impractical sandwiches imho. If you have the space.. go for horizontal (traditional shaped loafs of bread).

Any good Brand of machine will do. You don't actually need one, it can be done with your kitchen machine and oven aswell. It's only a lot faster to use (less hands on time) if you use it regularly.

I would only recommend buying one if you plan to use it Regularly (2-4 Times a week).

Regarding the Bread itself.. that's a whole different story! Quality mixes have a far superior taste and texture. You can also mix your own for about 50cts (not sure how much it costs in the US). Plenty of recipes and improv on the web.

IF you are willing to buy one and have a larger (4+) family you ' ll have to purchase one of the larger types. I would also recommend getting one of the bakers with timer. It's really nice to wake up to the smell of fresh baked Bread and having a nice breakfast. Do the same with your coffee machine.. really nice to wake up.

But still, machine (baking soda) bread can't beat old school "yeast" oven bread. That just takes a bit more time but works great overnight if you have to get up early anyway.

I will just say this. CJ has had her bread machine (Oster) for about 15 years. She loved how you just add all the ingredients, turn it on and walk away. However, the bread was always dense and not light and fluffy. She learned that if she just adds the ingredients, and let the machine mix, knead, rise, knead, etc. then take it out of the machine and bake it normally in the oven, it is MUCH better. When it bakes in the machine, it's like baking bread in a bucket. She takes it out of the bread machine and forms the loaf by hand or puts it in a normal loaf pan, it comes out just like grandmas bread.

Just my 2¢.

Back