• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

neem oil burned my leaves

Hi all,
My plants got attacked pretty bad by aphids so I sprayed them with some neem oil. For 3 days, it got so hot in san diego almost 100 degree. The leaves on most of my plants were burned. My question is do they recover from it?

thanks all for the input.

I had this happen to my roses. I heavily doused them in in neem for a couple days and we had a blast of 100+ weather and had a lot of burnt leaves. Still, once it recovered a bit, it grew all new leaves. I think the neem plus the high temps and sun are a tough combo for most plants. I'm happy to say that once it made it through the rough spot, the amount of new buds and blooms was increased bigtime.

LOL, it's to stop Murphy eating the plant, it's the only thing I've found that he dosen't like, he has similar tastes to his owner, oh, except I don't eat worms and poo.

Here in Italy the use of neem oil is becoming very common among chilliheads.Some products are repellent for insects but in the same time are effective as nitrogen fertilizers. Maybe your plants, with the arriving of that temperatures, have burnt leaves for both direct sunlight
and excess of nitrogen...I wish I helped you and I can be wrong, but over-nitrogen gives similar symphtoms of sunburn..

idk, if i put just oil on and go in sun, I'd get frelled...semms simple to me. :)

Heck, I managed to burn leaves under floros even...because I left a residue on after some foliar spraying. The edges where it didn't all drip off and instead collected got fried. Oops.

Remember, a water drop is a prism and focuser of light energy..outside it'll burn off faster than damage can occur..but not so indoors under lights..

I've stopped using neem after using it for 3 or 4 years. I get burned leaves and more fungal problems than without, and ordinary soap seems to work better for me with aphid problems. The problem with neem is that it is an oil and will magnify the sun like Quad said, unless it's washed off with warm water and this is a pain to do all the time.

Thanks all for the input. I think it's the combination of neem oil and over-fertilization burned the leaves. Some of newly formed leaves are burned at the edge. So I assume it must be due to excess nitrogen in the soil.

Back