• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Epsom Salts

I was considering adding a little epsom salts to my water when I do fertilize my plants every couple weeks. It turns out that why my other plants were hurting was because of a deficiency. The plant food seemed to help quite a bit and my seedlings grew a bit. Those are green, but seem like still not quite green enough. My other two plants (Which are older.) have been quite stunted and had curling yellow leaves. It wasn't overwatering because I only watered my plants when it was dry. I'm pretty sure that I may have a magnesium deficiency in my soil. If I add epsom salts to my water how much do you guys think I should add and also is it a good idea? I appreciate the tips. Thanks.:)

You could try adding some dolomitic lime to your soil too. This will give you calcium and magnesium and will help buffer the soil P.H.

I thre some epsom salt down on the ground around a Rocoto I had when ti wasn't flowering. Two weeks later.....tons of flowers.

Can you add Epsom to a hydro system? While my toms are looking great, the two peppers newest leaves are white, very white. At 1 Tbsp/gal. I would need 15 tbsp - that seems like quite a bit. I've been spraying the leaves with a water bottle but it doesn't seem to help.

Another possibility is the light is too strong.

Mike

I haven't tried epsom salts yet, but I can say that the Rootblast I got that's 9% magnesium and bunches of other nutes really made a difference on my babies. Using as directed, they are greener, and popped a new set of leaves in just a few days after mixing in.

I just used the 1 Tbls/gal mix on quite a few plants. All were looking a little worse for the wear because of all the rain we've had here. 4 Days later and I can see that all the new growth is super dark green on each plant that has shown any in that few days. I have some Stevia plants that took off. They grow pretty fast anyway. I'll see what the results are on the slower growing peppers in another week or so.

Thanks guys sounds like running up to the store to get some Epsom salts is a good idea then. I'll add a little to my mix every couple weeks. I sure don't want a repeat of my first two. Also, Quadshots good info on the Rootblast. I still have some that I didn't use (Actually all of it, but still will use it later. I'm going to keep it, but probably use it as an experiment on some brand new from fresh plants down the road. Man peppers sure aren't like throwing some cucumber seeds in the ground or something. These babies will force you to learn alot:lol:. Thanks again.:cool:

rabbit said:
Thanks guys sounds like running up to the store to get some Epsom salts is a good idea then. I'll add a little to my mix every couple weeks. I sure don't want a repeat of my first two. Also, Quadshots good info on the Rootblast. I still have some that I didn't use (Actually all of it, but still will use it later. I'm going to keep it, but probably use it as an experiment on some brand new from fresh plants down the road. Man peppers sure aren't like throwing some cucumber seeds in the ground or something. These babies will force you to learn alot:lol:. Thanks again.:cool:

Yes, it requires Money, Time, Skill and lots of MANUAL LABOR!

Been working so hard on these damn plants I feel like I should be getting paid for this rofl.

rabbit said:
Also, Quadshots good info on the Rootblast. I still have some that I didn't use (Actually all of it, but still will use it later. I'm going to keep it, but probably use it as an experiment on some brand new from fresh plants down the road.

Well, here's 3 days from when I got the seedlings, to now..judge for yourself.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=6246

Last post of mine has pics..sorry if one is wide.

They are going nuts... :D

QuadShotz said:
Well, here's 3 days from when I got the seedlings, to now..judge for yourself.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=6246

Last post of mine has pics..sorry if one is wide.

They are going nuts... :D
Those are purty!! I have another very young cayenne and a fatalli popping. I'll try the rootblast on those and leave out the epsom salts. They should both work and it'll be a fun little experiment.:) As of for now I'll use the epsom salts on the other babies.

Well, I finally put some Epsom salts on my 2 poor looking plants yesterday. (Put some on my younger ones as well.) All, I've gotta say is WOW!! That's the darkest green I've ever seen in my pepper plant leaves!! I know that can't be a bad sign. I think I figured out the right combination of what to give them every couple weeks now. When I start getting flowers and fruit I'll probably change my fert a little. I'm not sure on my 7 pot still though. It really greened up, but I'm waiting to get a new stinking leaf. At least it responded well so it's a good sign. My white hab definitely looks like it's going to come back. :D I also found out what my problem was with my plants for these past few weeks. Wish I would have known sooner. That's how we learn I guess though.

RichardK said:
"other plants" ... Hmm :)
I think you figured it out. If i was 30 years older i'd give another shot. That was fun gardening. :lol:

rabbit said:
Well, I finally put some Epsom salts on my 2 poor looking plants yesterday. (Put some on my younger ones as well.) All, I've gotta say is WOW!! That's the darkest green I've ever seen in my pepper plant leaves!! I know that can't be a bad sign. I think I figured out the right combination of what to give them every couple weeks now. When I start getting flowers and fruit I'll probably change my fert a little. I'm not sure on my 7 pot still though. It really greened up, but I'm waiting to get a new stinking leaf. At least it responded well so it's a good sign. My white hab definitely looks like it's going to come back. :D I also found out what my problem was with my plants for these past few weeks. Wish I would have known sooner. That's how we learn I guess though.
it's amazing when you realize something most take for granted has crazy good results. Epsom salts are cheap and effective too, so you can even let a nice little giggle each time you feed. Blast the leaves about once a week with a nice light solution of it. last time i used it the leaves got all nice and thick and green.

Epsom salt you can use one table spoon diluted per gallon of water, good for any kind vegetable plants , you can use at as meny time you watering the plants make foliage dark green & healthy or you can spread Epsom salt around the each plant then water.

915river said:
Epsom salt you can use one table spoon diluted per gallon of water, good for any kind vegetable plants , you can use at as meny time you watering the plants make foliage dark green & healthy or you can spread Epsom salt around the each plant then water.
That's what I did. I put a tablespoon in an old gallon milk jug and filled it with water. It doesn't take much and the results are really good. What's cool is I can soak in it if for some reason I'm ever sore too:lol:

Back