• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting . . ok I fermented stuff. . now what?

I was thinking about this munching on some fermented jalapeno slices today . . how do you take the fermented veggies and make sauce? Do you cook them to soften? Because I fear right now a food mill would not get much out. Just use the juice from the ferment? What are some examples of recipes and techniques that happen after fermenting raw peppers?

Hey Patrad!

You can eat the fermented jala slices as is.  If you want to make a sauce with them you'll need to cook/blend/food mill/heat/blend/bottle or some combination thereof.  Here is a link to a thread I did a while back explaining exactly how to process a finished ferment into sauce.  Best of luck and post some pics!

I took the peppers I fermented and pureed them in a ninja blender. I had set aside the brine so I added in 2/3s of the remaining brine and some white and apple cider vinegar to the puree then put it through cheesecloth into a container. It is tabasco consistency and very tasty!

Back