• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting My first ever fermented hot sauce!!

c7d6609903f629b2e0dba90720a66631.jpg

Alright! So, I finally finished my hot sauce. I got a bunch of hots from another member on here and decided it would be cool to make a sauce. Here is how I did it:

Step 1: Took 5 cloves diced garlic and put them at the bottom of mason jar.
Step 2: De-seed all peppers, cram into mason jar.
Step 3: mix 1 heaping tablespoon salt with 2 cups distilled/filtered room temp water to make brine.
Step 3: cover peppers in the mason jar with the brine.
Step 4: Take shot glass and put it upside-down on top of peppers so they don't float.
Step 5: Cover and let sit in dark area, shaking every day after the first couple days.
Step 6: After 2 weeks, open jar and inspect my work (no yeast, no mold, no problems!)
Step 7: drain brine out of jar, set aside brine.
Step 8: Puree peppers until fine.
Step 9: Add brine and a tablespoon of vinegar to puree in the container (in my case, a ninja) and pulse til blended.
Step 10: Strain solids out with a cheese cloth and save the liquid in a container.
Step 11: Enjoy on everything.

It came out tabasco consistency and tangy/extremely hot. It had a sepia serpent, BBG7, scorpions, primos and a bunch of others in there. I'm very pleased with the outcome! I didn't use an airlock or anything as a starter; I really wanted to do something really basic with the most basic of things I had on hand. Can't believe how easy it was.

"Didn't use an airlock or a starter".

Are you sure you did indeed ferment the ingredients?

Did you burp the container? Were there visable bubbles occurring throughout the vegetable matter during those two weeks?

It is nearly my opinion that you soaked your ingredients in brine and then processed into a beautifully vibrant unfermented sauce.

I hate raining on parades so please answer the questions above :)

Edit: :cheers:

There were TONS of bubbles and I did burp it over the course of 2 weeks. Every time I touched the jar, a ton of bubbles rose to the top, really neat, never had seen anything like it. The brine was also really displaced every day from the bubbles, until I shook it a bit, whereupon it would return to the normal brine level until the next day. Please let me know if you still think it did not ferment! While it is delicious, I do want to get it right if I did not.

Sounds like ya had fermentation working. Next time try letting ferment run for 90 days seems to be the consensus the longer the ferment goes the more complex the finished product will be. Looks great beautiful color.:)

Back