• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

best peppers for cold season?

Can you guys suggest me a list of peppers I should grow that are great in colder and shorter season. 

I have early jalapeno, starfish, fresno, cayenne , aji limon that are great for growing here 

would like to have more idea of what to grow in my garden next year.

Thank you

Nightshade said:
Capsicum Pubescens

As Nightshade said you should grow "Rocoto" peppers.  They are grown in colder climates in mountainous areas so they will do quite well, they arent the hottest peppers but are some of the tastiest for sure! 

Annuums are your best bet for a short season like Quebec has. If you start your seeds inside,you can grow anything you desire,just need to start seeds earlier.

Pubescens do fine in cooler temps,but they also need a very long season to ripen. I'm not discouraging you from them,you will need to sow seeds in atleast February to have a chance at harvesting any fruit though. They also hog up a lot of indoor and outdoor growing space. Just some stuff to consider.

Good luck with your season!

Pr0digal_son said:
Annuums are your best bet for a short season like Quebec has.

Agreed!
In my experience:

Cayennes are production machines, an easy bet.
Orange Thai and other thai varieties are cold tolerant and produce heaps.
Goatsweed and Vietato are two VERY hot annums that start producing a little late but handle the cold pretty well.
Some semi-wild bird types like Jindungo and Florida Wild Bird keep producing amazingly at the end of the season.
Naga Morich has always been one of the fastest and most vigorous superhot to me and keep producing decently with some cold.

Cya

Datil

Pr0digal_son said:
Pubescens do fine in cooler temps,but they also need a very long season to ripen.
Right, this could be a problem... I have so far only small peppers, now a bit larger than a pea size, and even if I am not a pesimist, don't think this year will eat some.
I could send you some seeds, dunno the name of pepper, is black, ripens to red, small, but very early and productive. My long race pepper...
Will try to put some pictures.

Back