• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Does anyone grow Bonsai trees?

Do mums count? Canna mumsai? Bonsaibis? Cannasai? XD Wait. I've got it. Ganjsai. or maybe Ganjasai? I'm terrible at making words :P

It started out just for storing genetics, but lately I've been cleaning the rootball a bit and trying to lignify some of the roots.

miguelovic said:
Do mums count? Canna mumsai? Bonsaibis? Cannasai? XD Wait. I've got it. Ganjsai. or maybe Ganjasai? I'm terrible at making words :P

It started out just for storing genetics, but lately I've been cleaning the rootball a bit and trying to lignify some of the roots.
Canna is an annual so we can't bonsai it unless it gets light 24/7. lol

Well of course, otherwise it would flower...

Fred (not the actual name), a pretty little SSSDH, chugging along under 18/6 since January, has produced well over 100 cuts and takes up 4 square inches :D
img_0013-1.jpg

I do.  I haven't grown anything for a while, however, being very interested in Asian culture from my Martial Arts days, my wife and I took an extensive course in growing Bonsai.  I have grown several conifers....kind of the established starting or learning tree.  However, you can branch out (no pun intended) into many other species like Oaks, Maples, Bamboo, etc.  It is a fun hobbies, but not one for the impatient.  You know that feeling of having to wait 75 to 125 days to produce peppers?  Multiply that by 10.  Although, there is some maintenance, most is limited pruning and shaping.  Please let me know if you have questions.

While a basic overview of the process, the video posted above is spot-on.  It is very traditional and follows all of the traditional Bonsai laws, which are very important.  Make no mistake, there is a right way and a wrong way to grow Bonsai.  It is all about attention to detail and making the tree look natural.  You do get some growers that really distort the natural shape of the tree, almost to see just how extreme they can get, but this is blasphemous in this traditional art.

Max 

Nightshade said:
Check out GrahamWPotters videos they are unbelievably cool I have been into bonsai for a while
Been doing just that for the past couple hours. I've been concerned that I wasn't chopping my bonchis down enough to start with.

Pffttt Forget that. Go big or go home. Makes me want to become a cedar chopper. ;)

Back