• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Juanitos 2015 test MFRB glog

Info
So in 2015 i will be selling MFRB of seedlings, 4 fit in each box, 28$ total
(4$ a plant + 12$ the shipping comes to 28$)
They will be about 6-8 inches tall and about 14 weeks old. they should be more hearty than other plant vendors because they should be older and have bigger root systems in the 3 inch pots.

I started listing some of the varieties on my website and you can preorder if you want, or just wait till march.
http://juanitospeppers.com/index.php/products/pepper-plants

=====================================================================================
Test start 
So you might ask... why are you making a glog in October?
I'm doing a test run / pilot project to make sure i got all the kinks worked out before i go full production.

TEST week1 7/31
started the seeds in some little tupperwear tubs

blue is lemon drop from buckeye pepper
orange is starfish from buckeye pepper
yellow are some hab seeds from kingdenniz

i3Tu3RF.jpg

TEST week 3 8/14
about half of them germinated transplanted into 3in pots.
p6EYjm2.jpg

TEST week 4 8/18
first one up
TukK5CN.jpg

TEST week 4 8/22
the rest of them germinated so transplanted into their 3in pots.
germ results
so 90% of brazil starfish germ
about 50% of lemon drop
and only 1(8%) of the hybrid habs from denniz =[ i think i let them get too wet maybe.
G6Ycz6q.jpg

TEST week 5 8/27
more popping up
wtixEe8.jpg

3xZXiS4.jpg

vZChy1Y.jpg

FxusMUt.jpg

j2NsCPS.jpg

TEST week 7 9/10
looking good, first or second set of true leaves up.
4QKLHi5.jpg

eKIuLjJ.jpg

TEST week 10 9/28
about 6in to a foot high, needed some water, one of them fell over.
i gave them 10% dose of fertilizer in their watering (probably doesn't do much)
OISgYkp.jpg

itey16g.jpg

TEST week 10 10/1
i topped half of them, i know there will be some controversy about this but oh well, i can't put 2ft high plants in a box!
hBOFjnw.jpg

mXBbu7K.jpg

fqgNkja.jpg

AVha5hu.jpg

and a couple videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nemMFTG8dAk

got little branch sprouts out the nodes on the topped plants.

ps. if you're wondering why these are so tall with spaced out nodes, it's because they are baccatum, the 1 chinense is about 6 inches tall with 3 sets nodes.

0oslfGU.jpg

KinQaRm.jpg

10 days after topping you can see the new branches with leaves popping out.
The ones i left a couple leaves on are faster to recover than the ones i stripped completely.

flash kinda ruined this pic making them look white lol...
g8KRvU3.jpg

b5aMuMr.jpg

the chinense is loving it
0a91tME.jpg

bacs are kinda wrinkly, probably overwatering, this soil doesn't drain enough. i'll be adding pine bark to the next batch.
hoZV3bM.jpg

my helper
t770biU.jpg

so i'm not very happy with the soil i'm using. It's not the same i used last year. I will go back and get the one i liked last year.

So the problem with the soil is it must be for flowers or something because it's like 80% peat.
The soil is still wet from watering 1 week ago!! 
So because they have wet feet the leaves are curling a lot... They are growing and are nice and green, just curling leaves. I've been debating taking em out, switching the soil but don't know if i want to disturb the roots blah blah. but i may have to if the leaves don't straighten out..

The chinense in the back is doing beautifully though whatever that means!

here's the chinense that's doing wonderfully!

IMG_20141022_160707.jpg

here's the topped aji's with curled leaves :/
i feel like i'm giving myself bad press like i don't know how to grow peppers <,<
that's what i get for compromising on the soil i had no experience with i guess.

IMG_20141022_160722.jpg

IMG_20141022_160826.jpg

IMG_20141022_161034.jpg

here's a pick of the roots... not very rootbound.
IMG_20141022_161106.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwZDQQBHB_I

So the ones i topped with a couple leaves on are doing the best. The ones i completely stripped (on the right) look pretty bad, leaves are really small etc.
So when topping moral of the story is to leave a couple of leaves on your plant so it can recover better.

That fucking chin looks beautiful.

hmm with these 3 inch pots it seems the plants are more prone to falling over than in solo cups....
They are 100% healthy, just need to be buried a little into the soil.

or maybe i topped them too early, the ones in the back have much thicker stems.

QZS92pf.jpg

cJEJH8K.jpg

SJMgYfx.jpg

plants are growing great.
Fl6uzWF.jpg

Htz0WXv.jpg

i got 17/18 white habs up.
JHRmLKd.jpg

reapers only like 10/18 =\ , but they were kinda sketchy when i put them in so my fault.
Xk4Imih.jpg

and sent out test box to jamie

the chinense i didn't top is forking now.
oh i see a couple buds now that i look at the picture!!
IMG_20141203_124026.jpg

also new branches coming out almost every node!
IMG_20141203_124038.jpg

juanitos said:

Xk4Imih.jpg

Is that the same type of soilless mix you used last year, or more of the new stuff that doesn't drain? My guess is the former - it looks like a good mix. 
     Don't worry about bad press from a buggy shake down run. If only Bonnie or Proven Winners put as much thought and effort into their starts as you are...
     So far, so good. Do you have fans blowing on the seedlings. I seem to remember that you did last year. Do you think they might be stretching because of the high heat in your shed?

I mixed both mixes together. Its much better that way without wasting a bunch.
Well the heat was about 90 but I got it lower about 80 now.
Yeah I got a 30 in oscilating tower fan that blows(hah). Its in a picture up there.
I think the stretching is from my lights being too clustered. I will be putting up led bar v2 this weekend I hope.

welp they made it to jamie. 
i skimped on the packaging so the dirt went everywhere... but the plants look good!
lesson learned, tape the pots so dirt doesn't go everywhere.
photo2_zps26535fcc.jpg

photo_zpsb1e2eac3.jpg

Don't know if you've ever ordered from Cross Country Nurseries but they cover the pots with just a little square of cardboard with a slit cut in it just big enough for the stem. Might help keep the dirt in if you taped something like that onto the pots to keep the soil in. The plants do look really good, nice and green and big

Back