• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Oktoberfest: BYOB Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This year's Oktoberfest TD is...

Oktoberfest: BYOB

What does this mean?
Of course it means Bring Your Own Beer, but it also means Bake Your Own Bread!

So.................... you can make whatever German-inspired dish you wish, as long as there is beer (in the recipe, or even just a glass of beer on the side)... AND you bake your own bread. Bread is a huge part of Oktoberfest (think pretzel, think sausage/hot dog, etc.). Beer in the bread? Hell yeah! Let's do this! BYOB!!!!!!

That's it!

BEGIN!

READ: The 5 Rules for an eligible entry
PoL: .10
5 Pics Max! Why so many allowed? Bread, beer, and feastage!
ENDS SUNDAY 10 PM EDT

Ingredients and PoL!!!

ibegd7aIdoTZNm.jpg

Weißwurst and Weizen! I love Weizen and that one in particular is cheap but i like it a lot! Also another random beer, because beer is never too much. Nor wine. Nor peppers. Nor pizza. And with pizza there's the dark beer. Pizza bread panuozzo, so durum wheat and medium W flour.
Bavarese Emmental and Gouda.
Some sliced vegetables cured with vinegar (a stuff from an aunt of mine).
And a really superhot sauce. Loads of superhots chopped and blended (more than half in weight of all), some strong vinegar, piri piri, 4 type of peppers with paprika, carnation cloves, garlic cloves, cilantro seeds, cumin and salt.
I forgot the mustard in pic, but there will be!

Just to show my new digital scale:
ibpigPrizu1tHe.jpg

I needed just 0.24g of yeast but it was impossible to get (i had to freeze the container or it would melt). So better to use more dough, also bread is never enough.

Now dough is waiting to be folded, i used a bit more than half of dark beer.
The rest was drunk before work it:

iCOmOCeQfASzA.jpg

Not bad at all, quite sweet and good aroma.

So dough quantities:

250g medium strenght flour
83g durum wheat
14g salt
0,41g yeast
266g Dark Beer

put all beer in a bowl, melt indside yeast
slowly mix with a whisp durum wheat
let it be for some minutes
put salt and slowly flour, mixing with hands.

rest for 1 hour.
Here is better that you put dough in an oiled bowl. I didn't that just because i remember that later. With that dough should be more workable later.

Then in a board with flour fold some times the dough then put in a oiled bowl.
Wait 20 mins (i waited 10 for hurry)
Fold on board.
Repeat that other 2 times (i did that only once more since it's really late here).

I calculated 14 hours plus 3 after forming balls at 20°C., with more yeast and beer instead water it should take less time.
Time to sleep now.

Scoville DeVille said:
Is that White Hashish????

Or the worlds tiniest pizza doh EVER?!!?! :rofl:

attachicon.gif
ibpigPrizu1tHe.jpg
:doh:

edit- talking to Scovie who just grease-burnt the crap out of his hand.  CJ's holding down the fort until Scovie's back on the cooking line....

Silvadine enroute to Scovie in the morning...  it'd be delivered tonight except for the multiple re-wines already engaged. 

Here it goes for BYOB.  Starting out with this stuff.

20141003_181027.jpg

We got all the bread fixins, along with some brats and ground venison, bit of of red cabbage, sauerkraut, red onion, pepper mustard, good ole Philly Cream Cheese and a couple B.O.C.s along with a Jay's Peach just in case.  Oh sheeiitt and da'beer, went with some Dab.  But it was quite the hard decision you see, we went out to get us some beers and happened upon a new place called "The Beer Joint", not quite original but they do brew their own brews and had a couple German style beers so I figured it would be worth a shot.  Well I didn't walk away with a growler of brew but I some how talked my wife into taking this pic "for a Halloween costume idea", they both bought it....

IMG_1725.jpg

Back to the reason were here.  So we had a little mixing, kneading, browning, waiting and more kneading and finally cooking and stuffing the goods into the warm doughy stuff.

To get from up there to down here this is how it went down.

Dough
1.5 packages Active Dry Yeast
1/2ish cup zucker
beer and a half-then warmed (used Dab, can substitute a dark beer here)

Mixed and let marinate for 10 mins.  Then we add the following.

1/2 cup powder milche
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups flour (choose to use 1/2 all purpose and 1/2 wheat)

Knead for 10 mins then let rest in a warm place with a damp towel over top.

While the dough is a rising we make the filling.

Meat Filling

1 lb fresh brats (skin it back)
2 lbs ground venison
3 cups red onion sliced

Brown it up and on to the seasoning and spicing.

Few dashes of sea salt and ground pepper, and a couple tap tap taparoos on my MOA powder shaker.

3 or 5 tbsp mustard (used my tequila pepper mustard)

Here is where choices come in. I didn't choose, I just used both, but separately.  Choice is between Cabbage and Sauerkraut,  Made 1 batch of each.

3-4 cups Cabbage or Kraut

Cook to soften Cabbage for 5-7 mins, or until warm with Kraut. 

By now your bread has risen and time to knead again into your rounds and make your stuffed rolls.

20141003_200452.jpg

Roll them up, pat it, and put it in a greased pan, leave a bit of room in between.

25ish mins later they should be a nice bronze after having given them a butter and kosher salt bath before putting into oven at 325*

We got lucky and things came out looking good and tasting way better.  I made a little dipping sauce out of the cream cheese, a couple different types of Basil from the garden and a shaved up B.O.C. all blended up together.  Momma made up some of her infamous German Potato salad, and I did a few Fried Green Maters, and browned Apples with some hickory smoked mixed Red pepper powder that was quite tasty.

SCREW a single beer, we went with a couple, light and dark and always potent Jager is must have at any Oktoberfest celebration I will be attending..

20141003_204608-1.jpg

20141003_204827.jpg

Stay thirst my friends!

Seacowboy said:
Here it goes for BYOB.

mmYXsSQ.jpg

Stay thirst my friends!
Well, let's just wrap this up right now,  Seacowboy tops the charts for BringYourOwnBoobs!   WIN!!!!! 

:rofl:  

Well played, Mate!

Scoville DeVille said:
Is that White Hashish????

Or the worlds tiniest pizza doh EVER?!!?! :rofl:

attachicon.gif
ibpigPrizu1tHe.jpg
I have a led growlight for peppers that could grow weed and now a scale good to weigh coca. I have a future! :rofl:  (just to clarify, i even hate tobacco smoke :D)
Btw, quite funny that i found loads of pizza recipes that say to use half-full cube of fresh beer yeast when a lot more is needed (with a lot more i mean an inferior order of magnitude). For sure faster, but worse too.

geeme said:
Essie with a German Pizza… who knew?!?!   :dance:
Let's call it German Neapolitan sandwich (that's quite lol! :D).

Husker21 said:
I heart Scovi!

Hoping to jump in on this one. I wanna bake some bread.
Go Husker!

I was getting my head right in the man cave and got my inspiration.  Going to the store inspired is always a bad idea.  :)

Das Beste Kraut-Burger auf den Menschen Bekannt
(the best kraut burger known to man)

The Dough:
• 1 package yeast in ¼ C. 112ºF water
• 1 C. Milk
• ¼ C. Butter
• ¼ C. Sugar
• 1 tsp Salt
• 1 Egg
• 3-½ C.+ Sifted Flour
• 2 tsp Scotch Bonnet Powder

Start with scalding the Milk, then add Butter, Sugar & Salt. When cool, add beaten Egg. Add some flour (with Scotch Bonnet Powder) to make a light batter and add yeast mixture. Slowly add remaining flour until a medium stiff dough is achieved. Knead, adding additional flour until dough is firm like bread dough. Let rise until it's doubled in size. Punch down, roll out ½" thick, cut into 4" squares. Add filling, pinch closed and shape into a long ball. ("long ball" hee hee hee).

Meat Filling:
• 1 lb. 80/20, 50/50 Ground Beef/Pork
• 1 lb. Sauerkraut drained and completely patted dry
• 1 minced Red Onion
• 1 TBS Dijon Mustard
• 1 tsp +/- Caraway Seeds (they look like tiny bananas FYI)
• 2 Roasted Poblano's, skinned, seeded and diced
• 3 TBS Salsa Lady's Ghost Fire Sauce
• A splash of beer
• S & P

In a hot pan, start with browning the meat. (Don't burn the shit out of your hand when dropping the meat into hot oil. Trust.) Add to the browning meat, Onions and let cook until soft. Add remaining ingredients except Poblano's. Let simmer and let excess moisture evaporate. Add Poblano's at the last minute and stir them into the mixture.

When rolling, add a bunch of Muenster cheese, then the meat filling. Brush the tops of the buns with an egg wash sprinkle Caraway seeds on top, and bake at 375º F until nicely golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve with a beer and a napkin.

View attachment 14737

View attachment 14736

View attachment 14735

View attachment 14734

View attachment 14733

M+N=2B
Just to say that combining something from Munich and from Napoli you obtain a median, and my home is more or less in the middle (nearer Munich, since it's a TD Germany oriented that makes sense). If you don't believe that see here:
https://www.google.it/maps/dir/Napoli/Barbarano+Vicentino+VI/Monaco+di+Baviera,+Germania/@44.4123155,8.1528498,6z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x133b0866db7afaeb:0xd23a43cc658cb87e!2m2!1d14.2681244!2d40.8517746!1m5!1m1!1s0x477f3b4c828cf291:0x58c4a233c3ef5714!2m2!1d11.5395817!2d45.409921!1m5!1m1!1s0x479e75f9a38c5fd9:0x10cb84a7db1987d!2m2!1d11.5819806!2d48.1351253!3e0

My beer of choice is Weizen because i like it really really a lot...  Incidentally Weißwurst from Munich are meant to be eaten with Weizen...
And also dark beer for the bread. That is pizza dough with that beer instead of water.
Also some Bavarian Emmental. And Gouda. Some homemade (from my aunt) vegetables i already had instead sauerkraut.
Of course mustard.
At last a bit of my superhot sauce. For details see here. It has a bit of vinegar, some garlic and onion and some spices, but mostly superhots.

For the bread:
250g medium strenght flour
83g durum wheat
14g salt
0,41g fresh beer yeast
266g Dark Beer

Put all beer in a bowl at fridge temp, melt indside yeast. Slowly mix with a whisk durum wheat
Rest for some minutes.
Put salt and slowly flour, mixing with hands.
Oil a bowl and put here dough (i skipped that part for lapse of memory).
Rest for 1 hour, sealed.
Then in a board with flour fold some times the dough then put in a sealed oiled bowl.
Wait 20 mins (i waited 10 for hurry).
Repeat folding broken with resting in a sealed oiled bowl twice (i made once, it was too late).
Put at last in a sealed oiled bowl.
Wait 11 hours, form 2 balls, rest 3 hours, sealed.
Shape bread (a bit thicker than a pizza), cook in low position at 250°C or a bit more for 10 minutes, then put in mid high position till is ready (5-10 mins, depending on oven). Ready means not completely cooked, nearly.

iMeV5a4jvDiae.jpg

Then cut in half:
ij0Lsqx3YmfV7.jpg

The other bun is good as standalone bread if cooked a bit more or reply that.
Weißwurst!!!
Just cook them in hot but not boiling water for the right time... Mine took 7 minutes. Then remove skin. Serve as hot as possible.

Assembling all!
Having the bun sliced in half, put gouda on top of a bun slice, then put both half (the other as it is) in oven for some minutes till melt.
When ready pull out and put weißwurst above as soon as possible:

i7dSb2o5Wh8NO.jpg

You need some coordination because you need them ready now, not before, not later.

Put above Bavarian Emmental sliced as thin as you can, put a bit on oven till it starts to melt. Just a bit because weißwurst are ready and doesn't need more cooking.

Pull out, top with mustard and hot sauce. Use other half of bun as dish for vegetables cured with oil and vinegar.
I dind't made a sandwich, i ate (half of that) just like that:
ibECFf76SODCG.jpg

ib0izIBEb82MXc.jpg

That weißwurst are good, those cheese and weizen match very well.
Just a note: i've used not much hot sauce cause it's really hot!

Off to a great start!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa! Do your thing man!

Seacowboy throws down the booty and Essegi kicks off the sauage-fest BIG TIME!

Phenomenal looking food so far.... later on this evening i will certainly be having a few beers and watching on with envy....

Lucilanga... the french brew some fantastic beer.... i certainly wouldnt pass if offered one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back