• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What are these!? Help a biker out!

I started these plants from seed around mid-May. I live in a northern climate (Winnipeg MB Canada) and it took almost a month before anything started to grow. I've brought the plants in today as the nights are approaching freezing. Here's where it gets interesting... I had two sets of seeds -- one batch from a habanero from a friend's garden and a second batch from a jalapeno I bought in store. I ate both peppers myself and dried the seeds so I'm positive about the origins of the seeds. I am not, however, sure which batch of seeds I threw into the planter. This is what grew:

http://s30.postimg.org/cgvne59z5/peppers.jpg

These peppers are definitely not what I was expecting as they are clearly neither of the variety I had seeds for. They look like some form of chili to me but I'm a complete newbie. In fact this is the very first plant i've grown from seed.

My questions:
1) What are they?
2) How far along are the plants?
3) What do they look like when they've matured? (I can probably answer this one myself once I know the answer to #1)

I'm terribly confused at this point so any help/suggestions appreciated!

Cheers,

-Daryl

I was going to guess that you actually bought a Fresno instead of a jalapeño - and that's what you're growing.

edit: But now that I look again, they seem too small for that. I'd just go with whatever PepperLover says.

Yea. It's weird because the plants are only 8-9". Could be the result of the temperature and proximity the seeds were planted. I did eat one to test it out. The extremities of pepper itself are fairly mild but closer to the seeds it gets hot. The peppers are definitely immature.  

[edit] And thanks for all the warm welcomes! :)[/edit]

Yeah there's nothing hab-ish about those and you can never trust what most stores label their peppers as so go with PepperLover's assessment. The bright side is you got homegrown peppers :party:
And welcome to THP

:welcome:  from sunny South Florida!  :woohoo:

I think it's the "jalapeño" being what Pepperlover calls a purira.
I think those would look quite like jalapeños once ripe and not on a plant.
And people seem to think that all pods with a jalapeñoish shape are jalapeños.
There's a lot of misindetification going on among most casual pepper-eaters.

But those can't be habaneros, their shape is too different and habaneros don't grow upward like that.
Anyhow, those are nice looking and definitely not habs or jals, be glad it's "different".

First off :welcome: to THP!

Secondly those peppers really loook great.

I would recommend bigger pots if youhave the space. Those plants look very healthy and will take off given a little more room. They seem Thai to me, but I could be mistaken. Not Habenero for sure.

Back