• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pots

What kind of pots do you use for growing (if any) I prefer pots over in ground planting simply because I can move them as needed. So what kind of pots do you use?

Standard black plastic nursery pots have been my go to forever but lots of guys here use 5 gallon buckets or other containers. 

Plastic fabric shopping bags made of recycled plastic are just barely durable enough to work, and are about as cheap a container as you'll find.

I am going to get 15 gallon Root Pouches next year for my peppers and tomatoes. I might try 10 gallon root pouches for the compact peppers and use the 15 gallons for all tomatoes and larger peppers. I have learned that either drip irrigation or SIPs are an absolute must for the best performance from containers (besided soil). The years I hand watered containers with a hose or jug "rapidly", most of the water ended up on the ground and the plants always seemed to be drooping. But once SIPs were introduced, the plants never seemed to droop when I kept the reservoirs full and seemed to always be happy plants.

I root around our alley to find whatever nursurey pots that I can - in any size available for taking as long as they are reasonably sturdy. Pots used for small trees are the best - as they are generally thicker and have the heavy ring around the top making them easier to handle. When I find myself needing pots I generally reach for the "giant pots" in 5 gallon size. They are square and approximately 12" cubed. I like these because squares make a better use of the space and pack in to my greenhouse at a higher density, and they drain extremely well and evenly.

I've used the grow bag method before and find that you have to be very careful not to rip them. If you are in a situation where you can't justify the cost of pots, then go for the bags.

Scouting trash areas for pots or asking your neighbors or friends is the best way I have found for keeping costs down, and most of the time people are happy to be rid of them.

ErolDude said:
I am in love with those nursery pots, sadly i have no idea where to get them xd
Oh, I just noticed you're in Sarajevo. Might have to get resourceful there. Pretty much any type of container that can hold soil and drain water can work. Something around the 5 gallon size would be good and smaller is fine too. I did a dozen Hungarian wax pepper plants in 1 gallon pots one year and they still gave me a healthy harvest.

slade122 said:
Scouting trash areas for pots or asking your neighbors or friends is the best way I have found for keeping costs down, and most of the time people are happy to be rid of them.
Or do what Slade122 suggests. Whatever you can find, make it work.

ErolDude said:
I am in love with those nursery pots, sadly i have no idea where to get them xd

CHeck the local landscape companies and nurseries -- they usually have an abundance of them from jobs or should at least know somewhere to get them.

Was driving down the road yesterday and passed by a new Walmart in construction and they had a bunch of pots stacked up from the landscape install so stopped and picked up a couple dozen of 2 sizes ! Just have to clean and sterilize them to get them ready for next season. (they had probably a couple hundred of them stacked at one end of the lot ) - also had several larger ones for the trees but hadn't installed them yet so I might stop back by in a few days to see if the large ones are emptied.

CIMG1442_zps51d37393.jpg

CIMG1444_zps090f7a0a.jpg

JDFan said:
Was driving down the road yesterday and passed by a new Walmart in construction and they had a bunch of pots stacked up from the landscape install so stopped and picked up a couple dozen of 2 sizes ! Just have to clean and sterilize them to get them ready for next season. (they had probably a couple hundred of them stacked at one end of the lot ) - also had several larger ones for the trees but hadn't installed them yet so I might stop back by in a few days to see if the large ones are emptied.

Nice score!

ErolDude said:
Damn JD what a lucky find

Yep was thinking the same thing when I spotted them sitting there ! -- Will be checking back a few days from now to see if the larger ones from the trees are there and will probably pick up a couple dozen more with them if they are. These are actually a bit thicker and sturdier than the ones I've had in the past so should hold up pretty well.

I scored a big 'ol stack of assorted sizes driving through a neighborhood. Saw a big sign that said free and took a few of every size and left plenty for others to pick through.

Went back today and picked up another 12- 5 gallon pots (not pictured), 1- 15 gallon and 6-  20(or maybe 25) gallon pots so should be set for next season ! :party:

CIMG1448_zps623267c7.jpg

Some where here, they show how to make your own fabric pots/bags up to 10 or more gal/liter in size that are pretty cheap to make.
Also just about any durable plastic/ rubber container that didn't have any toxic crap in it can be used I got 10 - 5 gallon buckets for free as they were in a dumpster behind a place that did painting on houses I just had to wash them out, I did ask if I could have them so that they wouldn't freak out seeing me pulling the buckets out of the dumpster. I have used paint buckets for years and they will last 2 or more years if you take it easy with them I put 1 to 2 plants per bucket,  a lot of Restaurants use small plastic barrels that hold pickled olives or cooking oil and throw them out once they are empty you just need to cut the top off and wash them out.

Back