• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brown scabs under leaves

I have a high resolution scan of my problem. Can anyone indentify what is causing these:

scan-141005-0002.gif

It can be any type of bacterial or fungal disease it can even be caused by aphids, I just have no idea.. all of the bacterial and fungal diseases look similar to me

I'm inclined to think either fungus or beginning of BLS. If BLS you might as well toss the plants that have it. If fungus, get a good fungicide and start spraying. Note that many fungus types require repeat spraying - once usually isn't enough, as you might not hit all the released spores.

I'd recommend treating for fungus and see what happens. If no change, most likely it is BLS.

Yes, BLS = bacterial leaf spot. If it's just one or two plants, separate them from the others then treat as if it's a fungus first. Hopefully that's all it is and the fungicide will stop it.

Put it under water and rub it.  If that washes off it may just be splashed up dirt or bug poo.  Then again, splashed up dirt can also cause BLS, but it will be in the leaf rather than rinsing away.

If that leaf is among the worst then I wouldn't start cutting leaves off yet as it doesn't look bad overall, instead waiting to see if it spreads and then deciding to prune affected leaves.

I can't wash it off, I tried real hard. I can't find any fungicide in our stores not even in specialized gardening store... that is weird... maybe they go by some name here.. But the salesman did tell me to use copper wires. Trick is to slightly pierce stems with copper wires and supposedly fungy go away.

But I doubt it is fungi, because I can't wash it off... I did buy some organic mixture for hardening the plants but it is more of a prevention thing than treatment. And I read you can make your own fungicide with one spoon of sodium bicarbonate and 5 liters of water! Is it true?

At this time of year I don't think you should be overly concerned just pull off all affected leaves, after all your not trying to grow the perfect leaf, its all about pod production.
I think people get a little obsessed about the smallest detail, don't forget there are thousands upon thousands of minuscule insects that visit your plants and cause untold (small scale) damage. 

I have had BLS many times and never would i just throw the plant out . It can be easily remedied with some 1//2 milk 1/2 water foliar applications  or copper spray . And yes remove the badly infected leaves . 

future_man said:
I can't wash it off, I tried real hard. I can't find any fungicide in our stores not even in specialized gardening store... that is weird... maybe they go by some name here.. But the salesman did tell me to use copper wires. Trick is to slightly pierce stems with copper wires and supposedly fungy go away.

But I doubt it is fungi, because I can't wash it off... I did buy some organic mixture for hardening the plants but it is more of a prevention thing than treatment. And I read you can make your own fungicide with one spoon of sodium bicarbonate and 5 liters of water! Is it true?
sounds like a bad idea to me...theres an age old way of killing your neighbours trees that you dont like..if you put copper nails or screws into the trunk of a tree it will die..so i cant see it will be good to put copper wire in a pepper plant.
I would think it would at the very least kill whatever leaves/stems you put it into.

romy6 said:
 I have had BLS many times and never would i just throw the plant out . It can be easily remedied with some 1//2 milk 1/2 water foliar applications  or copper spray . And yes remove the badly infected leaves . 

But but the books and people say you cant cure bacteria? It is stuck in your plants "blood"

Back