• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

tim's habanero sriracha style hot sauce

I make  about 72 jars of this every fall for family and a few friends  [ my partner and I consume 1 jar a week ] , it's not overpoweing hot , but adding more habs will up the ante.  I have been making this for 4 years and have almost finished tweaking it . This year I used ''purple haze'' carrots and it was even redder than usual.

Tim's   Habanero Hot Sauce
7 lg. red bell peppers [ cleaned, rough chop]
2 big carrots ..ditto
2 lg. , onions.. ditto
4 small apples ..ditto
5 habanero peppers ..stems removed 
1 head garlic , whole cloves browned in pan 
put above in saucepan ,
 add
1 1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 1/4 cup water 
partially cover , bring to a boil and then simmer till carrots soft
use a hand blender in the pan until well blended 
add
1/2 -3/4 cup sugar 
3 1/2 -4 teaspoons of salt 
simmer for one hour 
if too thick add more 50/50 vinegar water mix

makes 10  250ml, jars 
I hot waterbath can for 20 mins 

Sounds good man, but sriracha style is a fermented pepper sauce with sugar and garlic, not being fermented, and having carrots and that other stuff I'd not call it sriracha. But sounds tasty.

The Hot Pepper said:
Sounds good man, but sriracha style is a fermented pepper sauce with sugar and garlic, not being fermented, and having carrots and that other stuff I'd not call it sriracha. But sounds tasty.
No , you are right , it's not fermented , I used  the rooster  brand  siriacha for my inspiration , didn't know it was fermented .  So with my own sauce   I started increacing the  sugar,  and  eventually cutting back on the garlic to alow the pepper flavour  full rein.  I also started smokling the habaneros with maple wood  in my brick oven and  am quite happy with the results . Id like to do a version with  smokey roasted  king Arthur  peppers as well,  but it will have to wait till next summer {if unlike this year, we get one....sigh ! }

Cool!

Yeah, the name is actually Tuong Ot Sriracha, and tuong means fermented in Vietnamese. :)

PrimeTime said:
I made a bottle yesterday loosely inspired by yours Tim.

I Used store bought red bells, not jays peach ghost scorp, cayenne, honey. Love the apple aspect of it. Not overpowering. Im letting it sit a week but the color is awesome..

Thanks again!

Can you elaborate on your recipe... I am unsure of what you mean by "Not jays peach ghost scorp'

I would really like to whip up a batch using my ghosts/white ghosts/scotch bonnets/7 pots some how. I am VERY new to the sauce making.

SkubaSteeve said:

Can you elaborate on your recipe... I am unsure of what you mean by "Not jays peach ghost scorp'

What it means is, he planted what he thought was Jay's peach ghost scorpion peppers, but they grew into something else / not true peppers.

You can substitute any peppers you want to.

I had been using Carribean Red habaneros , but they were so late in ripening , even when started in April , pining for the Islands I assume.
This year I planted Maya habaneros ..much quicker and way more  prolific if slightly less hot ..to my taste any way.
The Carribean Red were even smaller and slower this year as we had such an crappy summer.

Good looking recipe tim!

Now when you say "...if too thick add more 50/50", I assume you mean vinegar/water?

By the way, I was gonna welcome you to THP but you've been here for 7+ years, so I'd be a little late. Thing is, you've only posted 11 times. Definitely a man of few words.

SPEAK UP buddy!

DownRiver said:
Good looking recipe tim!

Now when you say "...if too thick add more 50/50", I assume you mean vinegar/water?

By the way, I was gonna welcome you to THP but you've been here for 7+ years, so I'd be a little late. Thing is, you've only posted 11 times. Definitely a man of few words.

SPEAK UP buddy!
Yes , 50/50 vinegar and water .. I was on dial up for all those years and even viewing was painful , never mind uploading .. I  am still having troubles as my OS is too old to even upgrade , so I am waiting on anextra HD before I download a new OS .. then look out I have pictures .. I promise to stop lurking!

Suffering through what is no doubt the coldest February on record , I have my hot sauce to warm up with ..
 After  a dozen bottles I can report that Maya habeneros are for sure not as hot as Carribean Red.
Next fall I will up the Maya count in the recipie. 
As I made maple syrup last year I thought  I might do a batch replacing the sugar  with syrup ..but given the subtleness of pure maple syrup [ as opposed to the jumped up artifical taste of the commercial stuff  ]  maybe next falll ..providing this cold snap ever ends and we can tap our trees .

Back