• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My First Puree

So I recently tried to make my first puree. Recipe is from AJ (Thank You very much). Peppers are from Judy (Thank You).

I used 463g of three different peppers (5 Aji Amarillos, 15 Brown Moruga,and 30 Carolina Reaper). 180ml of 5% distilled vinegar. 3tsp of sugar. And about a tsp of salt.

Here are the peppers I used. 5 Aji Amarillos, 15 Brown Morugas, 30 Carolina Reapers. Total weight equals 463g.

Here is before I cooked it down 25%.

Here it is cooked down about 25%.

And the finished product.This stuff has some nice kick too it. I love it. Goes great with everything.

Looks good james.

In photobucket, click on the pic you want to post then to the right of it there is a section that says "share links" go to the bottom choice "IMG" and click once. It will say "copied.

Come here and right click and hit paste.

Figured Id share as it took me a bit to figure out.

Wicked thick looking,with the reaper ratio I wouldnt be first in line to try it :)
The moruga aint helping matters none . . . .
Try rice vinegar for your next puree',its much,much milder in the flavor profile of vinegars
Pepper flavor runs right thru it basically.

Good Job!!

Thank you very much TNKS. I will remember the rice vinegar for next time. I made about 3 8oz jars and it will last a while. Everyone is scared of it and a little goes a very long way.

JamesMiller said:
Thank you very much TNK.   Everyone is scared of it and a little goes a very long way.

TNKS said:
Smart peoples IMO :)

Very Smart people!  :lol:

Great looking sauce, and that Revereware sauce pan is looking good also~  (Love my revereware~~~)

:welcome:

SL 

Congrats on your first puree.  I have two ferments working my first as well, err - a first and a second, actually.  Did it loose heat in the process, meaning with all of those Reapers, does it still have intense heat or is it toned down because of your method?

Jim

salsalady said:
Very Smart people!  :lol:

Great looking sauce, and that Revereware sauce pan is looking good also~  (Love my revereware~~~)

:welcome:

SL

The revere mill is from my home town I grew up in upstate New York. Also have some oneida silverware. Good stuff.
Eeeeeeee! said:
Congrats on your first puree.  I have two ferments working my first as well, err - a first and a second, actually.  Did it loose heat in the process, meaning with all of those Reapers, does it still have intense heat or is it toned down because of your method?

Jim
I have not eaten a large amount alone. I ate about a 1/4th of a teaspoon and it packs a great deal of heat. Not like eating a whole fresh pepper, but I imagine if I ate the same weight in puree as a fresh pepper it would pack around the same punch.
RocketMan said:
Looking great there James. Hope you saved some seeds from those peppers, second season is starting ;)
I have a good amount of seeds left over from Judy and Ed. Look forward to growing some good plants in the months to come.

Back