• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bhut jolokia

It is difficult to impossible to tell that from the cotyledons. I'd suggest you wait for the first true leaves to appear, but even then sometimes it's not very easy to tell until the plant has produced flowers/fruit.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news but since you bought the seeds off ebay I think you should brace yourself for potential nasty surprises such as this:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50374-bewildered/

It's always a good idea to buy seeds from reputed sellers here like Judy at pepperlover.com or any other serious and passionate grower, that way you can be certain you get what you ordered.. but please don't touch ebay with a barge pole, sometimes it's tempting but believe me it's not worth it..

In any case, now that you have germination let them grow and see how it turns out :) sometimes surprises can be fun, too! :)

Good luck! :)

those coty's look a bit more annum shaped to me..too early to really tell though.
the stems look a little green as well..most of my supers seem to have purple or darker stems when they are little.

Personally my annums also seem to have bigger cotys then my chinense. 

shoot its so early to tell. I couldn't even tell you that they are peppers for sure.   :lol:  considering the source.

Maiden said:
Yeah time will tell ! Thx guys, i will keep you posted !
This is the seeds i got on ebay

Bhut jolokia seeds pack. by dals009, on Flickr

Im a total newbie with hot pepper, the source is not good?
Do you have a link to the ebay user that you bought the seeds from?

The results of search by image revealed a seller based in China selling 5 bags for US$3.34.

If you are interested in actually ending up with a Bhut Jolokia then hedge your bets and grow out some seed from a reputable source.

Yeah time will tell ! Thx guys, i will keep you posted !
This is the seeds i got on ebay

Bhut jolokia seeds pack. by dals009, on Flickr

Im a total newbie with hot pepper, the source is not good?

It looks like it's the same chinese supplier that sells this gimmicky product :

$_57.JPG

A friend of mine got one as a Christmas present.. They grew it out with great love and care but what they got in the end was some strange habanero cross :s

Maiden said:
Ronin how was the taste?
Hi Maiden,

I didn't taste it personally, but I was told it tasted similar to your standard habaneros but with a smidge extra heat.. it wasn't what they were hoping for but hey, something is always better than nothing, right? :) That's why I said maybe you should let them grow - think of them as lottery, that way you won't be disappointed :) and if you're serious about growing 'pure' Bhuts then do consider buying some seeds from Judy or someone else with good reputation, or just ask around and see if someone can send you some seeds.. I could send you some that I got from Judy but I'm in India and it would take them forever to reach you :(

Oh fer crying out loud. just PM pepperlover tell her you want Bhut seeds. And hope tha snails eat those things by the time Judys seeds arrive. if you want to grow real Bhut Jolokias that is.

I'm pretty sure your source is the same as the ones that have the photochopped ad with the child standing next to a plant with 3ft. peppers.

not trying to be a D but the ebay seed song has been sung so many times. its a shame these people are still burning(not in a good way) innocent pepperheads trying to start there grow.

In fact, the ideal pepper plant i need for my growing setup stay very short and compact, and the peppers very hot. Any ideas?

Nice, healthy-looking seedlings! :)

Just a suggestion : Consider moving each seedling into its individual pot before their roots get entangled, which won't take very long given the rate at which they seem to be growing.

:)

Back