seed-train Wicked Mike's Newbies Only Seed Train - ROUND TWO

It's that time, folks. The seed train has reached the station and will be heading out again once things get sorted out. Huge thanks to everyone who participated in the first round and made it such a success.

I'll be adding new riders as space becomes available and in the order that requests are posted (seems like the only fair way to do it). If you're interested, please read the rules posted below from the first round and make sure that they're things you're okay with.

Last round, we had some very generous donations from folks who've been in the community a while that wanted to help get the new folks off to a good start; anyone wanting to help out, please PM me.

As I firm up the list of riders, I'll be posting them here:

1. bpiela
2. bucdout57
3. Debrak92
4. Yellowfin2na
5. BigMal
6. changes4myfuture
7. Babysas
8. Jabski
9. Adam.Rose
10. teamcole
11. Wicked Mike
12. Scuba_Steve
13. Blackfatalii
14. socalgardengal
15. FGpepperguy
16. Transient Exuberance
17. Lovepeppers
18. Swaybelly
19. Kai the Dead Guy
20. Rairdog
21. AdamStl
22. Wicked Mike
23. PepperPassion
24. mpicante
25. Student of Spice 
26. stoney's_ghost
27. Wicked Mike

ROUND ONE:

Yes, this is a seed train, but with a twist: it's for newbies only. If you're new to growing peppers and/or new to THP and find yourself wishing you had more seeds, you're in the right place.

If you don't know what a seed train is, it's something like a chain letter. In a traditional seed train, I send out a box with seeds in it to the first person on the list; they look through the different seeds, take a few seeds of each variety they could use, then add bags of their own seeds that they think others might like to have. They then mail the box to the second person on the list. That person does the same thing and mails it out to the third person on the list, and so on. It's a much more efficient way of adding diversity to everyone's garden, and it's a lot of fun.

In general, participants in a seed train are expected to be courteous to the people further down the line. This means not getting greedy when deciding what to take, putting at least as many of your own seeds into the box, doing your best to add things that other people are going to want, and being honest about what seeds you're adding.

Example: I receive the box, and there are three varieties in it that I want. Each bag has fifty seeds in it. If I take all three bags, that's being greedy. If I take ten seeds from each bag, and add three of my own bags with ten seeds each, I'm an okay guy. If I take ten seeds from each bag and add five of my own bags with fifty seeds in each, doing my best to make them varieties that I know are more rare or desirable, I'm like most of the members of THP.

This seed train, however, is going to run slightly differently (see below).

If you're interested in participating, here are the rules (lifted rather heavily from Coheed, and modified accordingly):
1: Post something in this thread letting me know that you'd like to be included. I reserve the right to remove anyone, at any time or for any reason, from the list of participants. If I feel that a member will detract from the fun of this, or cause a problem with the train in general, they're out. In practice, this seems highly unlikely. After all, you're new, right?  :welcome: If, after being added, you decide for whatever reason that you can't or don't want to participate, simply post in the thread and I will get another member to take your spot. No harm, no foul.
2. If you've been a member of THP for less than 60 days, you are eligible. I'm willing to consider people who have been around longer than that on a case-by-case basis.

3. This is open to folks in the continental U.S. only. There are a few reasons for this; international postage can get a bit pricey, and I don't want to run the risk of customs confiscating the whole box. If anyone reading this happens to be a person with extra seed and generosity living in say, Canada, PM me if you have a notion to start a "Canadian newbies only" seed train and I'll help as I can.
4. This is important. The train is starting with 12 bags in it. Each bag contains exactly 200 seeds of from a particular variety of pepper (7 Pot Mustard, Ají Lemon Drop, Corno di Toro Giallo, Fresno, Orange Habanero, India Jwala, Serrano, Moruga Scorpion, Thai Hot, Trini Mystery, Trinidad Perfume, and Wiri Wiri). You may take as many different varieties as you like, but please do NOT take more than ten seeds of a particular variety. Maximum twenty riders on this train, divided into 200 seeds, means that there are ten seeds of each variety per person. If you take more than that, someone further down the line is getting shorted. If you have seeds that you wish to share with your fellow newbies, feel free to put some in the box. Having something to put in the box is nice, but not a requirement to participate; if you're just starting out, the point of this is to give your collection a little jumpstart.
5. This is not a requirement, but it definitely will be useful. If you're able to do so, put your name on any seeds you put in the box. The reason for this is that if someone has a question about a plant that comes from your seeds, the grower will be able to contact you about it. Just think, if a hybrid comes from your seed and ends up being something special, they may want to give credit to you.
6. If you decide that you would like to be added to the list you must, after posting something to that effect in this thread, send the person in line before you your real name and mailing address so they know where to send the package once they are done with it.

7. You must send the box to the next person in line with a tracking number. Priority mail for a SFRB is pretty inexpensive, and a tracking number is automatically included. If you're short on cash, you don't have to send it priority, but please pay for a tracking number. Once you have the number, either post it in this thread or PM me with it. I believe the reason for this is pretty apparent.

8. When you receive the box, the first thing you should do is PM the next person on the list to notify them that they're next. If in 24 hours you have no response, skip them and move on to the next person. MAKE SURE you've notified the next person on the list and gotten a response from them BEFORE you send them the box. Ideally, the box won't sit in one place for more than 48 hours. Let's keep it moving. Obviously, real life happens and things come up, but if something happens that is going to delay the box, please let me know.  
10. OK, the last thing is to have fun. Enjoy being a part of this, just monitor the thread and keep track of where the box is.

I am limiting this to the first 20 newbies who post. Just because I believe most people start their seeds in Dec - Jan and I'm not sure how long this will take.

Seed trains generally require that you not be new to the community; my goal, here, in addition to helping you start/build up your collection, is to establish that you're the kind of person that can be trusted to participate in other seed trains. To that end, once we have gotten to the 20th person, I will post a list of the participants who I would recommend for other seed trains. 

Here are the first 20 riders on this train

1. Moruga Welder
2. Jabski
3. Pepperguy1
4. Grass Snake
5. oldsalty
6. AaronTT
7. Jedi Sushi
8. 2Goats
9. Sirex
10. Nearday
11. sdambr
12. Orekoc
13. Coachspencerxc
14. mpicante
15. Botanydude88
16. Jem_stoneus
17. Winland
18. BigMal
19. BigB
20. Suprchunk
21. BartG

These are great. However, I feel I should caution you about "new" people. If someone sees this, they might join the forum just to jump in. Poof. There goes all of your seeds and the train. I hate to play the devil's advocate but yes, people are actually like that. I myself don't share anything with anyone that hasn't been here awhile. I got tired of sending seeds and not so much as a thank you.

I hope this doesn't happen, I just wanted to suggest you use caution.

Do it right and HAVE FUN!

I have plenty of PL Strain Brown Moruga,PL grown Starfish and yellow Primo I would send to someone to add to the main box at some point.
Im not in need of anything here,I have more then I can ever grow out as it is

LMK and Ill get them out

Scoville DeVille said:
These are great. However, I feel I should caution you about "new" people. If someone sees this, they might join the forum just to jump in. Poof. There goes all of your seeds and the train. I hate to play the devil's advocate but yes, people are actually like that. I myself don't share anything with anyone that hasn't been here awhile. I got tired of sending seeds and not so much as a thank you.

16fe2955306a01f3240fc9a7a9565472dd6fc06ca30fcb315fe3806ed658bddf.jpg

Scoville you really do bring up a good point and I hope that doesnt happen because I would like to join this train. Wicked Mike count me in please.

Fear not such folk that bleed out the systems at work
Cast your bread upon the waters,their return is their concern,what they reap is not what you sow

Never straddle a fence

Scoville DeVille said:

Nice idea - :cheers: but I see one potential problem with limiting it to just newbs --- most will not have loads of seeds to replace the varieties they take (since after all they are newbs !! ) so without at least a few older members in the mix it might get sparse by the time it gets down the tracks a bit.

Phil said:
Great idea!
Thank you  ;)

juanitos said:
i can send you a couple hundred to add to the box, for the newbzzzzzz
You the man! I'll PM you an address.

PrimeTime said:
Nice!

Get on this newbies
Hey! Haven't chatted with you in a while. Hope everything's good. For those who don't know this (probably everyone), PrimeTime was actually the very first person to send me seeds when I joined THP. 

Scoville DeVille said:

Oh, I know. I've thought this through pretty carefully. If someone wants to Scumbag Steve their way through life, they may seem to get away with it most of the time, but I don't feel that's the case. They have to live with being Scumbag Steve, and that's a pretty miserable punishment. I can think of one person in particular who blew his reputation in the chilehead community because he just couldn't seem to do the right thing, ever. He strikes me as a fundamentally angry, sad person who really doesn't understand why things happen to him the way they do. It's a shame.

When I first started planning this out a few months ago, I decided I wouldn't do it until I had enough seeds to restart the train if someone decided to be a turd. So even if it does get derailed, I'll put it back on the tracks.

I think to myself what a beautiful statement on the nature of the chilehead community it would be if the thing goes off without a hitch. At the same time, I won't be disappointed if it doesn't, and I won't let it stall. Either way, the new folks are going to get their seeds and have a good time.

Also, I thought of you last night. Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhwiskey.

JDFan said:
Nice idea - :cheers: but I see one potential problem with limiting it to just newbs --- most will not have loads of seeds to replace the varieties they take (since after all they are newbs !! ) so without at least a few older members in the mix it might get sparse by the time it gets down the tracks a bit.
You're not wrong. That's why I added the rule about not taking more than ten seeds of any of the varieties I'm including, and didn't mention anything about sending the box back to me when it's done. Ideally, the box should be finished with #20. If we hit a hitch, I'll just mail seeds to the remaining riders.

All Good  :cheers:

The only problem with that post was that Mike doesn't read so well....

I forget what I sent him but it was just a few seeds..

Somehow he sent me a crate of homegrown passion fruit....which I don't come across so much here in NY... like I never saw one before...

Way to keep up the THP "pay it forward" WM!

Back