• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anybody know a comfortably spicy pepper

I'm just looking a good pepper to snack on but i hate jalapeños, they are just too hot for me to be able to eat straight up, I want it to be like eating takis or hot Cheetos. Any suggestions

If you really are The Stig you should be able to handle any pepper! :D

Look for these types.

Anaheim, Gochujang, Pasilla, Peppadew, Poblano, Rocotillo, Banana, Cubanelle, Paprika, Peperoncini, Pimento.
All these rate below the Jalapeno in terms of measured heat level.

The stig said:
I'm just looking a good pepper to snack on but i hate jalapeños, they are just too hot for me to be able to eat straight up, I want it to be like eating takis or hot Cheetos. Any suggestions
Are you looking for peppers to grow or just to find in a store and eat? 

Large Orange Thai is my answer to that, 15k scoville and a great snacking pepper.  I characterize them as fruity and sweet. 

2choz08.jpg

Buzzman19 said:
Large Orange Thai is my answer to that, 15k scoville and a great snacking pepper.  I characterize them as fruity and sweet. 

2choz08.jpg

not really since he said jalapeno are too hot for him, those are 2 or 3 time hotter than peno

I found myself that I have a higher heat resistance to sauce than eating fresh hot peppers. When I eat a fresh it burn the shit out the me and I hiccup, yet I take way hotter sauce and its alright and I have no hiccup

charlesquik said:

not really since he said jalapeno are too hot for him, those are 2 or 3 time hotter than peno

I found myself that I have a higher heat resistance to sauce than eating fresh hot peppers. When I eat a fresh it burn the shit out the me and I hiccup, yet I take way hotter sauce and its alright and I have no hiccup

Yes, sauce is a good idea.  I can usually eat the hottest sauces no problems where as the corresponding pepper would destroy me if eaten. 

Still, I find the burn of the Large Orange Thai much more enjoyable than a Jalapeno pepper.  I am not a fan of Jalapenos, though recently I have found recipe's for Jalapeno that make them much more appealing. 

im more of a sauce guy, no pepper is too hot but i was looking for something comfortablely hot, thank you all for your help

Prik Chi - 5000 - 30000 units but in my experience usually closer to 5000. Tasty little peppers. You would have to grow them, I've never seen them in stores. As far as buying a jar of snacking peppers - pepperoncini are pretty much what you described.

Happy snacking!

comfortable is pretty subjective and jalapenos are one of the least spicy peppers there are....

My advice is to roast them before you eat them, this seems to cut the heat a little bit.
Also there are milder varieties of jalapeno  (tam jalapeno).

cajun bell, mexibell, and sweet banana are 100-1000 shu(very mild)

Best way i have found is just to use powders / flakes (like you said cheetos) or salsa.
roasted cayenne / prik chii on jicama is great and very tolerable. eating a cayenne by itself would be hot.

Hot Paper Lantern from Aji Joe. Very clean tasting. Like a hot bell pepper. Spicy but not to hot for any pepper head. 

Back