• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting The Monster Mash...2/7...Strange Umami?

Well, having ruined my first 2 mashes, including this classic> http://thehotpepper.com/topic/50636-my-lovely-jalapeno-ferment-photo/
I've jumped in for a third time with all the pods from my final harvest.  It is a mix of nardellos, red habs, aji pineapples, fresnos, cherry bombs, maui purples, cacho de cabras, and peppadews.  I also included 1/2 onion, 1 peach, 3.6% salt, 2 cups water, plus 1 Culturelle lacto capsule.  I hope the peach will provide enough sugar in this 1/2 gallon jar.  Wish me luck!

Anywhere in the 70's is fine.

If you're comfortable, the ferment should be fine (unless you're a sun worshipper or a polar bear type). :)

SmokenFire said:
How's this batch going RJ?  Fingers crossed for you buddy!
Thanks for asking, dude!!  I just went down to the basement to give the jar a swirl.  There's been separation of the mash near the bottom for about a week.  No signs of infection.  Not even any kahm yeast...yet.  I'm thinking of letting it go until Christmas/New Years.  That should be a decent length of time, no?

Next weekend, I think I'll get another batch rolling.  I'm still undecided on which peppers though.

Roguejim said:
That should be a decent length of time, no?

Next weekend, I think I'll get another batch rolling.  I'm still undecided on which peppers though.

That should be a decent length of time indeed.  Glad to hear it's rolling well for you!

Kahm yeast definitely. No worries man. But watch that head space :( . Looks kill otherwise try adding cabbage leaf to hold down mash next one, works great and inhibits yeast growth. I've been using wine for last ten ferments over 60 days looking good no Kahm yeast or mold growth giver a try.
Cheers mate :) headspace 1 1/2 to 2" works great for me .

oldsalty said:
Kahm yeast definitely. No worries man. But watch that head space :( . Looks kill otherwise try adding cabbage leaf to hold down mash next one, works great and inhibits yeast growth. I've been using wine for last ten ferments over 60 days looking good no Kahm yeast or mold growth giver a try.
Cheers mate :) headspace 1 1/2 to 2" works great for me .

Well, crap.  Too late now, except to wait it out.  I think the photo might be somewhat deceiving as it makes it look like the jar is barely half full.  Like I said, 2.75" of headspace.  Still too much, I guess...

I'm not understanding the cabbage leaf remedy.  It would seem very unsanitary.  Can you give some details on this?  Also, what type wine are you using, and how much?  Thanks.

The cabbage leaf is formed in a half circle when removed place in jar use heavy outer leaf with large ribs. Facing down placed over mash allows brine pass by leaf but keeps mash down. The cabbage leaf has more natural lab than most veg and help promote fermentation producing co2 faster eliminating chances for nasties to develop.
As for whine I've been using white zin and Riesling from barefoot wines but any brand should do cheaper the better. Use same amount as your water type brine just sub wine for water. Wine also helps Prevent the growth of Kahm yeast. Talk to JamesN here he and his family have been fermenting with wine forever. He deserves the credit for my ferments success. :) Have you tried kimchi or sauerkraut yet?
i3dv0g.jpg
os4swk.jpg

oldsalty said:
The cabbage leaf is formed in a half circle when removed place in jar use heavy outer leaf with large ribs. Facing down placed over mash allows brine pass by leaf but keeps mash down. The cabbage leaf has more natural lab than most veg and help promote fermentation producing co2 faster eliminating chances for nasties to develop.
As for whine I've been using white zin and Riesling from barefoot wines but any brand should do cheaper the better. Use same amount as your water type brine just sub wine for water. Wine also helps Prevent the growth of Kahm yeast. Talk to JamesN here he and his family have been fermenting with wine forever. He deserves the credit for my ferments success. :) Have you tried kimchi or sauerkraut yet?
i3dv0g.jpg
os4swk.jpg
Thanks.  In this recent ferment, I just added 2C. of warm, plain tap/well water (no chlorine) to the blender.  I also added the contents of 1 Culturelle probiotic capsule (lacto).  After I pour this into the fermentation jar, I would simply add the cabbage leaf on top?

I'm not sure how I would sub in the wine using my present method.  2C. wine?

Just leave out water and use 2 cups of wine instead I use whitelab for my lab. How much salt are you using? And yes just place cabbage leaf as in photo push down below bell jar curve allowing brine to seap by. :)

Back