• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My first sauce!

Here's the recipe! :)

~40 green Jwalas
5 large apples cut into rings
6 large peaches cut into rings
10 cloves of garlic
~30 fresh mint leaves
~20 fresh coriander leaves
juice of 2 lemons
4 tablespoons of cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of honey
a pinch of black pepper powder
a pinch of Himalayan rock salt

Dry roasted Jwalas, apples, peaches and garlic cloves separately, charring surface just a little bit and making sure apples and peaches were nicely caramalised. Then I let them all cool down before tossing them into the blender. Also added mint and coriander leaves and blended until all the ingredients were nice and smooth. Then I added cider vinegar, honey, black pepper powder, lemon juice and rock salt and gave it another quick spin. You can see the result in the pictures :) it's absolutely delicious and remarkably hot! First the sweetness from the fruits laced with sourness from the lemon tickles the mouth for about two seconds, followed immediately by a sting of sharp but bearable heat in the back of the throat. After the initial sting, the heat just sits there and smoulders for a good few minutes, and leaves the food pipe with a nice, pleasant warmth :)

F3VHVyW.jpg

well chuffed with the result! :)

Congrats! There is nothing like the satisfaction on consuming something you made that turns out to be a success!

Thanks for the recipe/pic- great list of ingredients..very 'curryish'. Will definitely take note of this as I'm planning to grow some Jwala seeds next season if all goes well, they pushed the originally planned Cayenne's off to the side.

How is the flavor/heat with those when they are green compared to red/fully ripe?

Thank you! :)

In my opinion they are less pungent when green, have a bit more fruitiness to them, and are thick-walled and crunchier.. As they ripen to red, they start getting violently pungent and wrinkly in appearance, start losing their fruitiness, and the grassy undertones that are quite noticeable in green ones also fade away... I prefer reds when I want pronounced heat (in curries etc) and green ones when I desire a slightly more complex flavour, like in the above sauce for instance :)

Damn, Ronin. Hell of a palette on you. That looks like a really, REALLY good blend of flavors. Are you Indian by birth, or just living there? Either way, man, I'm seeing the influence there.

Also, I'm surprised to see someone else growing Jwalas. Doesn't seem like an especially common pepper on people's growlists. I've never tried them green, will have to do so.

Let me know when you're ready to try your hand at fermenting. I've got a few pieces of advice that might be helpful, and can steer you toward a few folks that know a lot more than I do.

Very nice Ronincat this looks flavorful. How and with what foods will you serve this? Indian food for me has been hit or miss. I have found food from Southern India to be much more spicy and flavorful than the North. This is something I would definitely like to try.

Wicked Mike said:
Damn, Ronin. Hell of a palette on you. That looks like a really, REALLY good blend of flavors. Are you Indian by birth, or just living there? Either way, man, I'm seeing the influence there.

Also, I'm surprised to see someone else growing Jwalas. Doesn't seem like an especially common pepper on people's growlists. I've never tried them green, will have to do so.

Let me know when you're ready to try your hand at fermenting. I've got a few pieces of advice that might be helpful, and can steer you toward a few folks that know a lot more than I do.
Thanks Mike!

I'm originally from the UK, been living in India for the past four years now :)

The ones I used in the sauce came from farmers' market but I enjoy their flavour immensely so will be adding them to my growlist soon! :)

Fermentation seems a rather scary and complicated affair to me! I'm fairly certain that I could read all the guides on the subject from now on until the crack of dawn and never getting any further with it hehe.. :oops:

*is as thick as a plank* :P

Grass Snake said:
Very nice Ronincat this looks flavorful. How and with what foods will you serve this? Indian food for me has been hit or miss. I have found food from Southern India to be much more spicy and flavorful than the North. This is something I would definitely like to try.
with pretty much anything and everything! :D I tried it earlier as a chutney substitute with Naan and Chana Masala and it tasted great, although perhaps connoisseurs of authentic Indian food might not appreciate its initial sweetness. I'm thinking of trying it on veggie burgers in a day or two, but the rate at which I've been eating it I very much doubt I'll be left with any by tomorrow hehehe :P

Yes, I think your opinion on difference between North and South Indian food is a fairly valid one. I also noticed that southerners love their curries blistering hot, with lots of super spicy condiments and all, while northerners seem to prefer more rich and creamy, and relatively mild foods that are spicy in a different way :) but jacking up heat in practically all North Indian dishes is fairly simple - just double or triple the quantity of chillies and you're set! :D

Regards,
Ronin

I imagine that would enliven some saag paneer right quick!  Great looking sauce - even better for a first time effort!  Yer a natch RC ;)

Nice, very interesting list of ingredients and looks like it would have a apple sauce kind of texture. I would caution you on making sure you keep it in the refrigerator as your acid level is very low and could become nasty in a short time if left out.

Cheers,
RM

Back