• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mitch's Murderous Pickled Peppers......

For the past two years, I have been pickling my peppers so that I always had some through the winter.  Usually just Habs and a blend of vegetables and they have really turned out great.   I love to mix with rice or put onto sandwiches as a topping, etc.    But this was my first year growing superhots, so I expanded the recipe to try to balance the extreme heat a bit.   It turned out incredible.   Fantastic taste followed by some serious heat!  Definitely cant use a lot.  

Ingredients are: 

Peppers: 

Habaneros
Peach Ghost Peppers
Moruga Scorpions
Trinidad Scorpions
Chocolate 7 pot 
7 pot 
Carolina Reapers 
Long hots 
Bell peppers yellow and red
1 Red Jalapeno
A few Tabascos 

The Mix: 

Shitaake Mushrooms
Oyster Mushrooms 
Celery
Thinly sliced Carrots 
Cilantro 
Roasted Onion
Black Olives 
Water Chestnuts 
Honeycrisp Apple 
Pineapple 
Garlic 

Pickled in: Vinegar/water/canning salt

Original pepper bowl.  Quarters are for scale of the bowl.
88LlPvN.png

The Mix: 
LzvXgBx.png

w3ScbNu.png

QHFNahk.png

These should get me through the winter :)
RAxpnbK.png

I held back on using all of my peppers like in years past!    Need to figure out what to do with this bowl still :)

gSb35xB.png

Very nice looking :drooling:
So what is your ratio of vinegar and salt? I have a half gallon of habs and bhuts chopped up small like that soaking in straight vinegar until I can decide what to do with it. This looks like a very interesting direction to go. Do you check your ph? Do you keep refrigerated? Sorry for so many questions but I'm still very new to pickling and sauce making and every time I think I know what I want to do someone else shows me another way :P

Thanks! 

I may be the wrong person to ask haha.  I was taught 50/50 water to vinegar and not much salt.  probably less than 1/4 cup.      I refrigerate after opening, and I only check the PH on my fish tanks :) 

Interesting mix.

I make something similar, but with just peppers, carrots, cauliflower, celery, and lots of whole garlic cloves.

Mkbtank said:
Thanks! 

I may be the wrong person to ask haha.  I was taught 50/50 water to vinegar and not much salt.  probably less than 1/4 cup.      I refrigerate after opening, and I only check the PH on my fish tanks :)
Awesome!  Do you give the jars a water bath?  Canned pineapple?

Mkbtank said:
Water bath? You mean prior to jarring? Yes. I boil them. And fresh pineapple.
What I meant was whether you put the already filled jars in boiling water as per canning procedure.

Is the vinegar/water boiling when you add it to the mix in the jars?

It doesn't appear you cook any of the ingredients. Maybe the acidity keeps everything safe.

What I meant was whether you put the already filled jars in boiling water as per canning procedure.

Is the vinegar/water boiling when you add it to the mix in the jars?

It doesn't appear you cook any of the ingredients. Maybe the acidity keeps everything safe.

Ahh!! I see. Sorry.

Yes, the vinegar and water is boiling when I add it to the mix in the jars. I boil the jars, fill the jars with the mix, drop the lids in the boiling water to heat, fill the jars with the boiling vinegar/water/salt mix, then grab the lids and seal.

Usually a few jars at a time. 20 minutes later as they cool I hear the "Pop" of the jar sealing, and I'm good to go. :)
That looks delicious.

Thanks. It is. :)

great looking and sounding mix!  How does the cilantro hold up?  It doesn't turn to slime?  (or is it parsley or something else?)  I love cilantro but have always been leery of using it in long term items. 

great looking and sounding mix!  How does the cilantro hold up?  It doesn't turn to slime?  (or is it parsley or something else?)  I love cilantro but have always been leery of using it in long term items. 

Thanks. Holds up fine!

Back