• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Brisket and Boston butt, Cherry smoke with Apple mix

Just a couple pics of my favorites. Love smoked foods!!!! Served up with homemade backed beans,Mac and cheese and tangy cucumber salad. And cornbread of course. :
2nh225z.jpg
2eur4ur.jpg

Looking good! How do you compare the cherry to the apple?

How long did it smoke?

Any marinating or treatment before the smoker? Or am I asking for trade secrets?

Thanks gang!! Dinners always served by 7:30 pm :) and my door is always open. All are welcome. I love the cherry wood flavor the Apple is nice mellow smoke gives that good bacon flavor but the cherry tends to be fruit really nice good smoke adds great color as well. I used to inject with butts and brisket but not lately.
Right now the pork gets rubbed with yellow mustard then my pork rub and light brown sugar. Then let sit in fridge for 24 hrs remove hit with more rub and brown sugar. Then on smoker 225 for till internal temp reaches 192 degrees. Place in foil pan covered in foil and towels in cooler oh remove beer :) for 2 hour's remove let rest till you can pull depends on the hands. For the brisket rub with Dijon mustard my brisket rub and some Cavender's all purpose Greek seasoning. My rub has good amount of course salt and pepper. Let sit in fridge 24 hours this is for a full packers cut remove reseason with a little more rub and Greek spice. On smoker mixture of cherry and hickory at 225 to 250 to an internal temp of 196 wrap as I did with pork butt but let beef rest 2.5 to 3 hours in cooler. Remove and slice into a peace of heaven. :) remember to reserve pan juices remove fat for the beef pour over slices for pork I mix with some fantastic Carolina vinegar sauce. Enjoy! :)

Looks nice! I'm not Really into briskets (due to the cost VS the unendless supply of pork). But I love to smoke a Schmetterlingsteak (butterfly tail flap / picanha) once in a while. I prefer a hint of beech over fruit woods. I however love cherry on pork. What kind of cherry do you use? Sour or sweet?

And maybe it sounds stupid, but do you have a good recipe for Mac and Cheese? I'm a cheese fan but bought a micro wave and an oven mix in an PX once, but Really disliked it. When trying to make it of an recipe, they tend not to mention the type of cheese (red cheddar killer my own creation.. to overpowering).

PS I'm from Europe so excuse my ignorance

kentishman said:
Looking good! How do you compare the cherry to the apple?
How long did it smoke?
Any marinating or treatment before the smoker? Or am I asking for trade secrets?
Here's how I do it. :)

Pfeffer said:
Looks nice! I'm not Really into briskets (due to the cost VS the unendless supply of pork). But I love to smoke a Schmetterlingsteak (butterfly tail flap / picanha) once in a while. I prefer a hint of beech over fruit woods. I however love cherry on pork. What kind of cherry do you use? Sour or sweet?

And maybe it sounds stupid, but do you have a good recipe for Mac and Cheese? I'm a cheese fan but bought a micro wave and an oven mix in an PX once, but Really disliked it. When trying to make it of an recipe, they tend not to mention the type of cheese (red cheddar killer my own creation.. to overpowering).

PS I'm from Europe so excuse my ignorance
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/mac-and-cheese-recipe2.html

I've made this recipe without the tomatoes and added lobster (as per one of her other recipes).  Really good mac and cheese.  I have substituted smoked gouda for the gruyere and it was awesome!

if you are looking for plain mac and cheese just leave the tomatoes out.

Oh yeah, awesome looking BBQ!
-Alden

Back