• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Darn hornworm :(

I taped off this Yellow T.M.S.  It's from the same pod as the cross, anyhow a hornworm ate on it when it was still very green like the other one in the pic., Think the seeds will be good?  

9N8lNyJ.jpg

2R1y9Rw.jpg

It looks like it's still ripening just fine. As long as the seeds look intact (not moldy and slimy) when you cut the pod open, they should germinate.

dash 2 said:
     It looks like it's still ripening just fine. As long as the seeds look intact (not moldy and slimy) when you cut the pod open, they should germinate.
Thanks I was worried as it IMO wasn't growing long enough when it got ate on and like any time a pod get injured they starts turning color.     

The fast color change is the plant's way of freaking out and trying to mature the seeds quickly before the fruit starts decomposing.
     Look at the seeds when it's completely ripe. If some of them look a little smaller and thinner than others, don't count on them to produce the strongest seedlings. The plant may yet being "aborting" some seeds in order to push resources into seeds that it thinks will have a better chance of passing on its genes.

Thanks everyone, I had three I taped, one I broke the branch so it's seeds are no good, second one got ate on and the third one you can see in the pic is still small and green. With Rain and color temps coming it's going to be close if the last one will get ripe before the first frost.   I have so many pods that are very small that I don't think will make it and a Bunch of flowers now only if they would have flowered like that this summer LOL    

Back