• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

The Chocolate 7-pot Bubblegum - hot and nasty!

A beautiful-looking pod from John Lackey, thanks a lot Mate!

I had a bit of a head cold when I ate this, so was feeling a bit like I needed waking up. Oh yeah, this did the trick alright, then it kicked me in the nuts just for fun. 

The initial flavor was excellent. I never ever thought I`d write that sentence regarding a Chocolate superhot. It was sweet, very slightly acidic, yet still had the earthy, slightly smokey and tobacco-like flavors of a chocolate super hot pod. Then it changed to have a slight sweet green grass, with a hint of apple. After that, nothing but heat, heat and more heat LOL.

The heat was there immediately, but it took time to ramp up to it`s limits. And what limits they were. This is a really hot and really painful pod. The heat is all concentrated on the tongue and you can almost hear the sizzle. Add to that the idiotic amounts of pain involved and you get the picture. Incredibly aggressive heat that is extremely prickly, somewhat like having a fork jammed into your tongue over and over again. Did I mention that it was hot? I`d say this was easily as hot as the Red 7-pot Bubblegum, but nastier. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmALE_rheDI&feature=youtu.be

Great review as always Nigel I can really get a feel for the taste and heat of that pod.  I have been very impressed with the heat of the red BBG7 all year and can only imagine what pain this chocolate variety brings.  As with any of the upper tier superhots it all comes down to the grower and their skills and we know Prodigal_Son can bring the heat.  I will be growing some of these next year for sure. :flamethrower:  

Interesting burn profile(short/sweet)
But something tells me there is an edited puke warning with this one

Still say the hottest thing I ate this year was a Bubblegum from Buckeye. Sounds like this Chocolate takes it to a whole new level. A fork jammed in the tongue over and over again! Yikes!

Awesome Nigel, Ive been wondering about these since I first saw one here about a month ago. I am really excited to grow the Red Bbg7 for my first time in 2015. I am curious if it had the typical chocolate superhot aftermath, the "oh gawd, am I gonna die this time supercramps?"

TNKS said:
you have to know it did
No such thing as a super hero in the Super Ranks:)
You, my friend, are very perceptive. The review ended fast, right? Well, the reason is I had to rush off to the bathroom. I was going to post the aftermath report tomorrow, but you nailed it down in one!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0r9Hbc0AE&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the aftermath report Nigel. I've always respected you for not being one of the puke reviewers. At the same time I much appreciate when you tell us, a pod has done it to you. It helps give me a idea what to expect if I come across it, and how big a piece I'm willing to try for the first time.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice review. The pods I tasted had a lower heat,but I used them in food. You tested that at perfect ripeness. To me,a brown super does not have a good flavor until the insides get burgandy coloured.

I am not sure what this is mixed with,could be a brown scorpion like you mentioned. The plant frame is impressive with these,similar to a Trinidadian superhot with the canopy at 12-15 ft2. It took a bit of time for it to set pods,but they were dripping off it the last 2 months.

You couldnt miss it LOL! that pod literally exploded(6:20) and you did good containing the blast
Ive had that look/feel myself many times
The body just wants to purge and shut down when levels are that high

That strain would be cool to grow out
Nigel said:
You, my friend, are very perceptive. The review ended fast, right? Well, the reason is I had to rush off to the bathroom. I was going to post the aftermath report tomorrow, but you nailed it down in one!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG0r9Hbc0AE&feature=youtu.be

Hi Nigel Great review like always, it just goes to say that certain peppers don't have to be full of oil to be hot, you looked a little worse for the ware afterwards, I haven't seen that kind of look on your face for quite awhile. Almost like Shell Shock, My only bubble gum this year was one of the many that just sat in the ground and did nothing till the end of August and just started to put on a few small pods in late September none so far has ripened, so I plan to dig it up and try to over winter it along with some others that took forever to grow and set pods.
I was hoping that I would get a few pods off of my bubblegum, but was perplexed by the number of pepper plants that did nothing this year even though I got a early start with them, and gave them a good dose of fertilizer, I'm hoping I will not have this problem with my wilds that I will be growing for 2015, most of the wilds I grew this year did very good.

Back