• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds taking seeds from small peppers?

Quick question so I don't have to go experimenting. at what point can you take seeds from a pod and have it grow successful? by that I mean, is there a difference in taking seeds out of a pepper that is just beginning to grow vs. a pepper that is fully mature and ripe? will one seed grow better then the other or as long as there is a seed in the pod it's all the same? searched all over google and could not find an answer for this. I hope someone knows or at least has a good explanation on what they think.

The pepper must be ripe. If you want Jalapeno seeds they must be taken from a red ripe jalapeno. Just an example. We then let them dry out on a plate or what not for about a week.

yep the riper it is the better.
Best thing to do is to let it turn its full colour on the plant, then let it sit for another couple of days on the plant before harvesting for seed

"some" strains you can take green pods but they have to be getting ready to turn color, the Best would be to let the Pod get 100% ripe.  If you have the time before frost I would say to be 100% it's ripe wait till the pod falls off the plant, if not wait as long as you can.  

I saved some Anaheim pepper seeds the pods where just turning a little color and the seeds grew fine but ripe is better all the way. . 

I was given some long Cayenne pods that were fully grown but still unripe and I harvested the seeds. Strike rates were about 70% and they are doing very well. 

Seed becomes mature when the pod reaches full size.  Having it start to ripen is a great sign that it has reached full size long enough ago that the seeds are good, except that in some cases an undersized pod may have some rot on it that artificially speeds up ripening and then the seed may never make it to maturity but in that case it's usually off color and smaller sized seed.

Back