• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Over wintering questions

I have recently dug a Trinidad Scorpion pepper plant that was about 4 feet tall. I dug from ground and put it in a fairly large pot for the greenhouse this winter. I pruned the plant after digging, i dont know if that was a mistake or not but now the leaves are very droopy and about 65% have dropped :doh: . I dont think i'm overwatering or under watering  because i water my other chiles the same and they are happy as can be. maybe it is the shock of having the roots disturbed. Do you guys think it will survive in a greenhouse this winter? and what do you think is causing the loss of foliage? Thanks in advance for replies  :D  

When you dig it up and decrease the amount of roots it has, it is normal for it to then respond by dropping leaves.  With temperature dropping and being out of wind in the greenhouse, it will not need as much water, especially now that it has dropped a lot of leaves.

Yes it should survive the winter providing it never frosts or freezes, and you remember to never let the soil completely dry out.  If it loses the rest of the leaves it may just go dormant until spring so it will need very little water, but the soil drying out completely will still kill it.   Then again there are no guarantees.  Given a large # of plants most will survive but some may not.  I don't know how cold it gets there in your greenhouse.  You're in Weatherford, TX?

texaspepper said:
I have recently dug a Trinidad Scorpion pepper plant that was about 4 feet tall. I dug from ground and put it in a fairly large pot for the greenhouse this winter. I pruned the plant after digging, i dont know if that was a mistake or not but now the leaves are very droopy and about 65% have dropped :doh: . I dont think i'm overwatering or under watering  because i water my other chiles the same and they are happy as can be. maybe it is the shock of having the roots disturbed. Do you guys think it will survive in a greenhouse this winter? and what do you think is causing the loss of foliage? Thanks in advance for replies  :D  

Hello Weatherford!

Mine do that also when I cut them back for overwintering.  Drop a few leaves in the first week and then once they find their new balance they do fine.  Sounds like you are on the right track.

-Alden

Back