• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

6,215 Pounds Of Serrano Chile Peppers Recalled For Extra-Spicy Salmonella

http://consumerist.com/2014/10/22/6215-pounds-of-serrano-chile-peppers-recalled-for-extra-spicy-salmonella/   

Serrano chile peppers add delicious spiciness to your meals, but do you know what is not a delicious fresh ingredient? Salmonella. Random testing turned up signs of the pathogen in a batch of peppers sold in Meijer stores in Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Peppers in that batch may have also ended up at other retailers, including Publix, Walmart, and Harris Teeter.

Meijer has confirmed that it received peppers from the batch that may be contaminated, and there are other stores and distributors that may have. For now, the Food and Drug Administration says to maybe check with the retailer if you’ve bought any serrano chile peppers since October 2 and October 21.
Salmonella is not a fun illness. Sometimes people who are healthy show no symptoms when infected, but when they do, those symptoms can include fever, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Children, the elderly, and people who are immunocompromised can become even more ill, leading to hospitalization or death.
These peppers originated with Bailey Farms of North Carolina. If you have questions about the recall, you can contact them at 1-888-820-2545.

Any more you have to watch just what you are putting on your plate, I grow almost everything I eat during the summer months when it comes to fruit and veggies every thing gets hit with a mild bleach mix then filtered water before it's consumed. I get farm fresh eggs the same thing they get wiped off with a bleach water mix and a quick rinse and dry. At my home eggs, fresh fruit and veggies gets used up fast.   The only things that is not consumed right off gets frozen, pickled or fermented and they are still cleaned before used in this matter.
Having said all that when I was younger I often ate a warm sandwiches at work with no problems and still younger I would come home after playing kick ball and make a PB&J. still covered in dirt and grime and never got sick from bad food that may have sat in the fridge for days. 

Now days we use way too much antiviral this and antiviral that, to a point that they have mutated and no longer affected by several antivirus products for keeping things clean best to use is Hydrogen peroxide or bleach water to clean with. 

So to sum this up watch what you buy, not just the bad peppers that are going around, but loose leaf lettuce, and spinach along with bad meat handling at old and new markets where they still cut and grind their own meat.

Do people still wash their veggies anymore? Most of these problems at least with vegetables are solved by giving them a good washing.

Back