• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Buddy Jumping on the Fermenting Bandwagon

Here's my 1st try at a ferment.  Used roughly 25 deseeded yellow and red rocotos, maybe 3 or 4 large deseeded yellow 7 pots, carrots, garlic, and onion.  Here's what it looked like on Sunday:

DSC_0928.JPG

Put it in the closet and went on business travel.  Here's what it looks like today (Friday):

DSC_0935.JPG

DSC_0936.JPG

Not exactly sure if this is what it's supposed to look like . . . to me it looks pretty good.  Not sure of next steps - going to need to do some research.  Any comments/feedback will be welcomed. 

Thanks.

TJP

Yup looks like a great start on your first try Terry just wait till you get to taste your ferments there will be no looking back.  Hot sauce making will take a huge step forward.  Everything looks right on time and good to go to the refrigerator and steep in the lacto for a few weeks.  Looks yummy, bet you can't wait to dig in.

DaQatz said:
Buddy yeah that's normal. As time passes more, and more will settle at the bottom. Creating "strip" in your ferment. eventually it will all be settled though. Also I have found large leaf chard/collards works better then cabbage. 
Collards better than cabbage? Dang, wish I knew this earlier. I'm growing collards but had to run to the store for cabbage. Lucky thing there's always a next time :party:

Hawaiianero said:
Collards better than cabbage? Dang, wish I knew this earlier. I'm growing collards but had to run to the store for cabbage. Lucky thing there's always a next time :party:
Yeah I found it's easier to cover with them. And if your ferment gets kahm yeast most of it comes out with the leaves. Where as cabbage leaves are thicker/stiffer and it tends to slide off as you remove the leaf.

Back