• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What to cook with Arrabiata sauce?

I've never had this stuff before and really know nothing about it.  I won it from Patter Fams a while back and it's been sitting on the shelf since.  How spicy is it?  My fiancee can't handle much at all.  lol

The mini size penne is great arrabiata, but also, the underrated corkscrew pasta will hold a lot in the grooves. :)

The Hot Pepper said:
The mini size penne is great arrabiata, but also, the underrated corkscrew pasta will hold a lot in the grooves. :)
I was just reading about penne pasta, with arrabiata and parmesan being really good together. 

Yeah, cooked al dente with fresh shaved parmigiano-reggiano or romano.

The smaller pennes are cool for that, the larger ones are good too. The smaller ones just make it a saucier dish.

The Hot Pepper said:
Yeah, cooked al dente with fresh shaved parmigiano-reggiano or romano.

The smaller pennes are cool for that, the larger ones are good too. The smaller ones just make it a saucier dish.
I think I'll grab some penne.  Perhaps some ground beef for it as well.  Hmm

shrimp with your pasta they go together like peanut butter and jelly

shrimp is excellent with that type of sauce i like it quit a bit
chicken breast works very well also
i find that lighter meats work best
thanks your friend Joe

Ive never had it before... but if spiciness is an issue, a little cream stirred through at the end should temper most of the heat.... it would work well with joe's suggestions also

It's not for me, fiancee just doesn't care for spicy.  Apparently this meal is all mine and it's cooking up now lol.  Just opened the sauce, doesn't smell like it'll be real spicy at all. 

This is what I came up with.  I may have added too many penne but omg it's absolutely delicious.  Good call on the penne pasta.  Fiancee says it's too spicy I think it's just right. 

Y5PZ7ez.jpg

Essegi said:
Penne or spaghetti are ok... Just use to top them, heating it up if needed, with pecorino and parsley on top. And some evo wouldn't hurt.
your Italian so you know light meats like shrimp or chicken are the way to go right? or at least this is my personal preference when it come to this type of sauce? beef seems too heavy(hard to explain maybe just me?)

what do you think??

thanks your friend Joe

That looks absolutely delicious man!

Browning said:
This is what I came up with.  I may have added too many penne but omg it's absolutely delicious.  Good call on the penne pasta.  Fiancee says it's too spicy I think it's just right. 

Y5PZ7ez.jpg

Browning said:
Of course it's a good call, it's the standard use. :D
Am i seeing well or is there meat too in that sauce?

ajijoe said:
your Italian so you know light meats like shrimp or chicken are the way to go right? or at least this is my personal preference when it come to this type of sauce? beef seems too heavy(hard to explain maybe just me?)

what do you think??

thanks your friend Joe
Shrimps sounds killer on that. But with onions too since arrabbiata has only garlic as far as i know. Also chicken of course but in general i eat it "white".
A couple of time i used that similar kind of sauce on shrimps and mussels to top spaghetti and it's a great thing (better than normal arrabbiata). I'm not really experienced with that combos (it's more from center Italy).
Sometimes i had beef and it's good, but was my mom that cooked that and i've never cooked it myself.
Btw that was alla pizzaiola instead arrabbiata, it's very similar, that looks like an ok recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-pizzaiola-23209
I rememember also capers and maybe olives sometimes.
Maybe not my top preferencie but it's good.

The Hot Pepper said:
the underrated corkscrew pasta
That's great with pesto alla genovese. Also i have good memories with canned tuna.

I buy the frozen meatballs from Trader Joe's and simmer then in the Arrabbiata when I want some low carb that I can graze on ...

I like how the experience unfolds, the early meatballs are very much just 'meatball' as the sauce still has high water content and doesn't adhere all that readily ...

Half way (maybe after an hour or so on #3), the sauce divides and you get a darker paste and an oily separation (not a gross oil, a beautiful aromatic oil) ...

By the end, there's usually a little burnt meatball to scrape off the bottom of the enameled CI and I just chop up the last 5-6 meatballs and have it like soup ...

Highly rec ...

The Hot Pepper said:
That looks absolutely delicious man!

Thank you.  It will definitely be getting fixed again. 

Essegi said:
Of course it's a good call, it's the standard use. :D
Am i seeing well or is there meat too in that sauce?

Shrimps sounds killer on that. But with onions too since arrabbiata has only garlic as far as i know. Also chicken of course but in general i eat it "white".
A couple of time i used that similar kind of sauce on shrimps and mussels to top spaghetti and it's a great thing (better than normal arrabbiata). I'm not really experienced with that combos (it's more from center Italy).
Sometimes i had beef and it's good, but was my mom that cooked that and i've never cooked it myself.
Btw that was alla pizzaiola instead arrabbiata, it's very similar, that looks like an ok recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-pizzaiola-23209
I rememember also capers and maybe olives sometimes.
Maybe not my top preferencie but it's good.

That's great with pesto alla genovese. Also i have good memories with canned tuna.
Yes sir.  I added a pound of ground beef to it. 

Essegi said:
I can imagine that! I used to get a cold pasta salad that was pesto/corkscrew. Delish!

Back