• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

My new hobby for the cold weather

I fired it up for the first time a few weekends ago, this is something I've never done before but I've been picking up some tips from locals and from the all-knowing internet.  I've made some alterations to it since then and I'm working on making some javelins this weekend, everyone needs javelins.

http://youtu.be/0P6YVEqdfJw

Haha the vise grips were actually really awkward, the rebar is long enough to just hold with my hands with gloves.  I'm thinking that instead of making javelins I need to make some various tongs.  I did make a fire rake though.

Also, if anyone else tries this...don't use briquets, they're junk and burn too quickly compared to lump hardwood charcoal.  Fuel for this thing is my biggest drive to making it more efficient at this point.  I stacked some fire bricks around the tuyere hole to make a deeper fire cone and a few other alterations.  Maybe I'll get some pics next time I fire it up.

Thermite fuel, placed on a brick. It burns out quickly, but you have things nice and melted to use if it isn't directly in the flames.

LOL I've thought about using thermite but it's too risky.  I've "played" with it before and I think getting a reaction and damaging the crap out of my forge isn't worth it.  It is funny watching all the youtube vids of people thinking they're being cool by smelting cans in a makeshift crucible and get a meltdown.  Unless you're doing castings with the molten aluminum there's not even any point in it--recyclers pay the same for ingots and cans. :crazy:

here's a couple of recent pics, I also gave it a nice paint job
20141025_123003_zpsphu84gkn.jpg

20141025_122801_zpsmyryalle.jpg

Back