• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting 2nd Ferment - Red Jalapenos and Garlic

Started my 2nd ferment.   This time fermenting red jalapenos and garlic for a future Sriracha (or Sriracha type) sauce.

DSC_0965.JPG

Put that through the large plate of your food mill and you'll be transported to Hoy Fung land.  Put it through the fine screens and you'll get some Cholula/Franks type results.  The processed (after ferment cooked) mash can be used in all kinds of things - I'm currently working on a spicy bloody mary mix w fermented ripe jalas.  :D

SmokenFire said:
Put that through the large plate of your food mill and you'll be transported to Hoy Fung land.  Put it through the fine screens and you'll get some Cholula/Franks type results.  The processed (after ferment cooked) mash can be used in all kinds of things - I'm currently working on a spicy bloody mary mix w fermented ripe jalas.   :D
Thanks for the tips!  This is only my second ferment . . . the other one is in the refrigerator about 2 weeks ahead of this one.  Digging on the idea of Bloody Mary mix!

I wouldn't think if the fermentation has completed it would be a stable environment for mold. And if fermentation is complete everything pretty much just slows down anyway. I have a couple of jars from 2 years ago still sitting on a shelf and all they're doing is aging.

But if it works for you, that's great.

hot stuff said:
I wouldn't think if the fermentation has completed it would be a stable environment for mold. And if fermentation is complete everything pretty much just slows down anyway. I have a couple of jars from 2 years ago still sitting on a shelf and all they're doing is aging.

But if it works for you, that's great.

WORD!

You made me go look in the pantry Hot Stuff. Oldest ferment is dated 10-25-11, so it's just past 3 years old. No mold, just "melding flavors".

Fermentation/aging has been going on a LOT longer than refrigeration has been around and/or readily available.

"...better flavor..." is up to the individual's tastebuds.

Just my 2c.

3 year old ferment? I'm assuming no air-lock right? What is typical temps in your pantry? Damn, every time somebody answers a question I never asked I come up with a hundred more. I'm only asking because I have a lot of peppers to process and want to try as many different ways as possible. The coolest spot I have thats not the fridge fluctuates from over 80degrees in the daytime to under 70 at night and so I'm worried if that is going to affect the final result in a bad way. I can hide a couple jars at work where it stays right around 78 degrees 24/7.

Back