• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

condiments mexican peanut salsa

Hey guys, 

I've had this orange Mexican type salsa at various restaurants and it definitely has a peanut taste to it. Does anyone have any idea of a name or possible ingredients?

Are you sure its peanut and not a roasted pumpkin seed flavor? Some sauces from the Yucatan have pumpkin seeds.

it could be pumpkin, but i swear it had a peanut taste. I am in miami, so it's not necessarily mexican I suppose. cuban, colombian, puerto rican, we have it all and it was just a burrito joint on the beach

I'd also say it's salsa de cacahuate (which means peanut).

The Hot Pepper said:
I'd also say it's salsa de cacahuate (which means peanut).

Yup - had this recently (co worker brought in some her mother had made).  Very unique and good.  Not that hot - maybe serrano-ish heat.  It was great on some pork tacos.

Salsa Macha? I found this yesterday I havent made it though. Some people like the oil in it but you can omit it

DSC_0100-546x365.jpg

SALSA MACHA
Serves: makes about 3 cups
INGREDIENTS
2 ounces (about 1½ to 2 cups) dried chipotle chiles, stemmed, seeded torn into pieces
21/2 cups olive oil
1/3 cup raw unsalted peanuts (or unsalted other nuts you may prefer such as pecans or pine nuts)
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt, or to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
TO PREPARE
Set a large heavy skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, but not smoking, add the garlic cloves. Stir and fry for about one minute, until they start to gain color. Add the chipotle chiles and peanuts, stir and fry for about two minutes. Add the sesame seeds, stir and continue to fry for about a minute. Remove from heat. Carefully transfer all the contents from the skillet into the jar of a blender. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
Add the salt, sugar and vinegar. Process until smooth, starting with low speed and building up to high speed. Pour into a container, let cool and refrigerate if the salsa will not be used that day.

Macha is never orange though. It's brown with a layer of oil on top. Poster said orange. 99% sure it's salsa de cacahuate. He described orange and peanuty.

The Hot Pepper said:
Macha is never orange though. It's brown with a layer of oil on top. Poster said orange. 99% sure it's salsa de cacahuate. He described orange and peanuty.
Yeah my bad - I saw the peanuty and went with it - different peppers entirely - recipe looks interesting though

Back