• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

What's Your Go to Hot Sauce?

Just curious what everyone's go-to/favorite hot sauce is? Is it store bought, homemade?

Personally, I find myself always trying any and all sauces, but I always have some of my own homemade on hand.

normally have to have some cholulua or tapatio around.
I made MoA / pineapple sauce that i've been using the most now. (3 mason jars full for only me, lol whoops)

I'm a Wicked Mike's guy, but no surprise there. LemonBomb, Warm Blueberry Pie, and Hot Date are probably my favorite flavors.

I can also tell you from experience that RocketMan makes some of the best sauce on the planet. Anyone with a basic understanding of fermentation and a bucket 'o peppers can make a "burn your guts out" sauce. Making a hot sauce that's best described as smooth, balanced, and complex AND brings the heat is another thing. If he started producing them commercially, I'd be the first one in line.

I was lucky enough to try the first three sauces Emmeriaa made, as well. Guy's got a knack for it. You get nothing but flavor for a second, and then there's an immense rush of heat. His sauces are not for the faint of heart.

As far as commercially made sauces go, I can't get enough Iguana Mean Green. It has a really bright acidity, a great consistency, and a heat level that's low enough that you could chug it. A tempting thought. Really, anything from Half Moon Bay is good.

There are quite a few on my "don't like" list: the McIlhenny stuff, sriracha, Cholula, Blackie's Best.

There are a bunch on my "never had it, but really looking forward to it" list. Lucky Dog and Heartbreaking Dawn's both sound like winners in terms of the "not just heat, but flavor" thing. There's Texas Creek; it's obvious that Ann knows what she's doing and is as hardcore as it gets when it comes to quality control. And then there's Pex. By all accounts, he makes a hell of a sauce (hell of a good guy, too). Cappy's Brainstrain sauce is a no-brainer (pardon the pun). After all, who better to make a Brainstrain sauce than the man himself? Speaking of the man himself, there's the grandmaster of fermentation, Chili Monsta.

So many sauces, so little time.

Jamison said:
Any Lucky Dog label is my go to. Also love me some Huy Fong Sriracha.
I agree with you on these options. From LDHS my fav is the perro. THE best sauce for my tacos. Doin tacos tonight!

Cappys brain strain rocks too. But it still lights me up and isn't my daily driver. More like the luxury car you take for a spin when you are feeling saucy.

Though I of course enjoy mine, lately I have been banging on a bottle I was sent from a friend who decided to try his hand at a sauce. Definite promise.

Lucky Dog orange is usually my first go to sauce. Absolutely love it. Been using Primo's new sauce quite a bit lately too. Great flavour to match the heat from his peppers. Also as Scovie mentioned-salsalady's Ghost Fire (and Chipotle bbq) are killer as well. My wife loves the LDHS green label, and El Jefe and OUCH! from Feisty Parrot as well.

Wait. I didn't mean to exclude any sauce makers here.

I just assumed "go to" meant, "one or two bottles to take to your grave to love for all of eternity with your 72 virgins".

So many.... Sauces I mean.  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Race City Sauceworks: Chad Lowcock cannot make a bad product. 
High River Tears of the Sun is another fav of mine. 
Bigfats is another great product line. 
Born to Hula - all excellent sauces
Redhawk Premium - GFD and GFDXXX are excellent
Fat Cat - great sauce line too. 

many more...

Wicked Mike said:
So many sauces, so little time.
that's the understatement of the century! 

There are SOOO many good sauces that we love and pretty much all of them are not available in my local grocery store.  I've tried to list them before and always miss some.  Just got cases of Lucky Dog and Davez Sweet Spicy Girl,  looking forward to the FB Chileheads Group Fall Sale from a whole bunch of sauce makers.   Ready to stock up again. 

So, I guess in answer to your question "What's my go to hot sauce, store bought or home made?"   I'd say ---- Definitely Not store bought, but Artisan Made.  For this discussion, I'd say the artisan sauces and companies I'm talking about here and the others previously mentioned are Home Made Sauces Gone Commercial. 
 Does that make sense?

If you describe go to as something that is always in my fridge

Grace  scotch bonnet  sauce - Orange or Green (  I like green better but not always easy to source)  currently both.

Huy Fong sriracha

I will be replacing my bottle of    Saigon hot chili sauce by fraternity   .  Great flavour ,  about the same heat as sriracha

I cycle through other bottles that spark my interest but these are the only constants usually.  I guess not strictly true, my wife always has a bottle of Texas Pete in there too.  

I am a home made hot sauce kind of guy.
For flavor, I like my Trinidad Chocolate Scorpion Sauce.
TCSbottles.jpg

and when I need to warm up,
its Strawberry Reaper Sauce
ReaperSauce01.jpg

Although I do have a recent batch of Brain Strain, that came out nicely.

Back when I first started lurking these forums bottles of Cholula and Franks and Petes were my friends. Now they wave at me from the back of the pantry, rarely put to use. Many excellent and worthy makers here put the art in artisan.

salsalady said:
that's the understatement of the century! 

There are SOOO many good sauces that we love and pretty much all of them are not available in my local grocery store.  I've tried to list them before and always miss some.  Just got cases of Lucky Dog and Davez Sweet Spicy Girl,  looking forward to the FB Chileheads Group Fall Sale from a whole bunch of sauce makers.   Ready to stock up again. 

So, I guess in answer to your question "What's my go to hot sauce, store bought or home made?"   I'd say ---- Definitely Not store bought, but Artisan Made.  For this discussion, I'd say the artisan sauces and companies I'm talking about here and the others previously mentioned are Home Made Sauces Gone Commercial. 
 Does that make sense?

I'm making up boxes, breaking down pods, and potting up a few hundred plants today, but I'm hoping to cook tonight. If you PM me an address, I'll send you a few things. Can't promise they'll be great, as I'm still in the tinkering stage, but I'm working at it.

Wicked Mike said:
I'm making up boxes, breaking down pods, and potting up a few hundred plants today, but I'm hoping to cook tonight. If you PM me an address, I'll send you a few things. Can't promise they'll be great, as I'm still in the tinkering stage, but I'm working at it.
Do it SL!!!

I wanna taste them!

Scoville DeVille said:
Do it SL!!!

I wanna taste them!

Funny coincidence; one of the things I'm working on is "Wicked Mike's Scovie Walker," a mild scotch whiskey flavored sauce in your honor, bud.

Back